Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awkward moment...

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Awkward moment...

So this thread is about awkward moments with credit cards.... ill start with mine.

So we are at dinner with my in laws; and my husband who is just super proud of everything that has happened this year/ new house; paying off two cars; honeymoon to Alaska; amex...

So hes super proud and he has this rivalry with his older brother because the.older brother is the favorite even though the brother has had 3 cars and two houses repoed/foreclosed.

So he starts rubbing it in to his parents about how well we are doing and basically mentions we could buy a fairly nice car with the nfcu credit card. I was super embarrassed; I had a little discussion with him about how our credit limits was not something to rub in for his little rivalry. Anyways I was embarrassed... you'd think the rivalry would be gone now considering my husband is 34!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Awkward moment...

What would have made that awkward, was if your husband offered to pay the whole check, and then his card that he was bragging about got denied. lol

Message 2 of 33
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

What would have made that awkward, was if your husband offered to pay the whole check, and then his card that he was bragging about got denied. lol

+100  

I was thinking the same exact thing. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Lol he did offer to pay the whole check but the card was approved
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 33
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Ouch.

Message 5 of 33
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

My most embarrassing moment didnt involve a cc but rather the application. I was at best buy and my HS rival was working. I was looking to buy a new computer for college and decided to app for the card since they were offering a discount and special financing. Needless to say, I was declined after verifying my personal info for 10 minutes :/ (People at my HS tend to rate people based on monetary value, so imagine my embarrassment when I get declined right infront of them.) couldnt walk in the store for months!

Another, my CC got declined on a $6 purchase at my old employer due to a fraud alert. They expected fraud because every purchase I made for 6 days was there. I didnt get to have lunch that day =( 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 6 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Anyways, my awkward CC moment, me and a friend decided to get milkshakes at like 2 AM from mcdonalds one day, the total came out to like 5.36, and my card got denied (I forgot to call and activate it...awkward) 

was a little embarassing since it was only 5 dollars, i was like "whaaaaat!?!?!?" 

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@webhopper wrote:
So this thread is about awkward moments with credit cards.... ill start with mine.

So we are at dinner with my in laws; and my husband who is just super proud of everything that has happened this year/ new house; paying off two cars; honeymoon to Alaska; amex...

So hes super proud and he has this rivalry with his older brother because the.older brother is the favorite even though the brother has had 3 cars and two houses repoed/foreclosed.

So he starts rubbing it in to his parents about how well we are doing and basically mentions we could buy a fairly nice car with the nfcu credit card. I was super embarrassed; I had a little discussion with him about how our credit limits was not something to rub in for his little rivalry. Anyways I was embarrassed... you'd think the rivalry would be gone now considering my husband is 34!

Are you kidding me heck yes were going to brag!!  Hey who said we have to grow up anyway!!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 33
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Seems like some people just need to grow up.  Awkward, no. Juvenile, absolutely.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 33
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Definition of awkward...

My wife and I went out to dinner with my father-in-law and his wife a few weeks ago. It was at a local steakhouse.

Normally, my father-in-law offers to pay (He's in his 70s...probably figures he wants to save us some change)...nice guy, always has been. I never paid any attention to what he paid with in the past. Why would I? It's none of my business anyway.

Well, this time I offered to pay when the waitress brought the check. I whipped out my 3 Rivers FCU card...almost simultaneously, he whipped out...First Premier.

I said, "XXXXX, please let me get this..."

Honest to goodness, the only thing swimming in my head was the string of fees that had to accompany that card he had. I didn't even care what the cost of the bill was.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.