Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awkward moment...

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Awkward moment...

@bamagirl1 wrote:

Frugical Rican & CS800 --those are both HILARIOUS!!

But I guess being a chick, I wouldn't mind either of those cards, guess it's kinda nostalgic for me Smiley Embarassed as I love them both growing up..LOL LOL

He was comfortable with his masculinity Smiley Happy

As you know for men, the boy never goes away. I saw Cap One with a Transformers Logo

Message 21 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Another story:

I went to stage with my mom... she proceeded to return about $300 worth of merchandise that didn't fit...   and then proceeded to load up on about 600ish dollars worth of merchandise...   She had coupons giving her the equivalent of 25% off on all of this... which is great...  except for the fact that while she's checking out, she's asking the cashier if her payment that she had mailed off had gone through before being late and asking the cashier to check her available credit.   There were like 15 people in line.  I don't even think that the store cashiers have access to that information... Seriously?  I would have been way too embarrassed to ask the cashier if my payment was late.

My mom is a little clueless...  if its not on auto pay then she has a hard time keeping up with when things are due.  On the other hand her scores are like 780 because I helped her set up auto pay for all her bills after she went 6 months of being 30 days behind on her car note with Nissan in 2006. She didn't even know she had forgotten to pay one month.... which led to a whole string of 30 day lates.   So I talked to her about how I manage payments when i'm traveling and don't get the mail. I had her call nissan and ask them to adjust reporting, which they did.  I just wish she had stuck with just her Freedom card instead of applying for a Stage card. She didn't need it, and she can see when the Freedom is due every time she logs in to check the checking account balance on her iPhone.  Why do people apply for more account than they can effectively manage?  And literally, why did she even apply for that account, she has a Freedom with a 11k limit... why does she need a Stage card? 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 22 of 33
CS800
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Another story:

I went to stage with my mom... she proceeded to return about $300 worth of merchandise that didn't fit...   and then proceeded to load up on about 600ish dollars worth of merchandise...   She had coupons giving her the equivalent of 25% off on all of this... which is great...  except for the fact that while she's checking out, she's asking the cashier if her payment that she had mailed off had gone through before being late and asking the cashier to check her available credit.   There were like 15 people in line.  I don't even think that the store cashiers have access to that information... Seriously?  I would have been way too embarrassed to ask the cashier if my payment was late.

My mom is a little clueless...  if its not on auto pay then she has a hard time keeping up with when things are due.  On the other hand her scores are like 780 because I helped her set up auto pay for all her bills after she went 6 months of being 30 days behind on her car note with Nissan in 2006. She didn't even know she had forgotten to pay one month.... which led to a whole string of 30 day lates.   So I talked to her about how I manage payments when i'm traveling and don't get the mail. I had her call nissan and ask them to adjust reporting, which they did.  I just wish she had stuck with just her Freedom card instead of applying for a Stage card. She didn't need it, and she can see when the Freedom is due every time she logs in to check the checking account balance on her iPhone.  Why do people apply for more account than they can effectively manage?  And literally, why did she even apply for that account, she has a Freedom with a 11k limit... why does she need a Stage card? 

Is there any perk for using the Stage card?

Like ON you get some % off, Lowes 5% off, Wally Free TU08 etc

Message 23 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Is there any perk for using the Stage card?

Like ON you get some % off, Lowes 5% off, Wally Free TU08 etc

The perk is that my dad never sees the balance, whereas the Freedom account balance shows up under their login for their Joint Checking account with Chase.

There is a history there of running up balances.   When I told my mom about an Amex Zync and how its great because I have to pay off all the charges each month, she was like, why would you ever want to do that? that sounds aweful! 

ROFL

Everything I've ever learned about having good credit I learned due to dealing with the repercussions of following the example set by my mom.

1. Co-signing on installment loans

2. Maxing out cards

3. Paying only the minimum instead of Paying in Full

4. Ignoring creditors when they call

5. Applying for a card due to 0% interest offers

The good news is that most of what she did only caused temporary blemishes...  the one that got me really bad, was the co-signing fiasco.

After I started working with my parents on helping them understand the scoring formula back in 2006, both of my parents now have scores that are super prime, 760+

The income and the desire to pay bills was always there, but the systems and behaviors to manage and maximize scoring of accounts was not there.  

My dad actually had a merged file that I helped him get straightened out over christmas vacation. 

FICO 9:

Message 24 of 33
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@bamagirl1 wrote:

Frugical Rican & CS800 --those are both HILARIOUS!!

But I guess being a chick, I wouldn't mind either of those cards, guess it's kinda nostalgic for me Smiley Embarassed as I love them both growing up..LOL LOL

He was comfortable with his masculinity Smiley Happy

As you know for men, the boy never goes away. I saw Cap One with a Transformers Logo

I absolutely love the Transformer movies...all of them, and I am...well, let's just say I'm fully grown Smiley Very Happy

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 25 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Another Awkward moment... I was dating a CPA at the time, this was in 2009.  I lost my wallet and needed to call my cards to cancel and get new ones. So my CPA boyfriend at the time was asking which cards I had, and I told him:

Best Buy

Discover Card

Debit cad.... 

Keep in mine that this guy carried Amex Plat because he was always travelling doing big audits of large companies. He made a big deal about me having only Discover in my wallet, and at that time, I didn't know that there was any stigma associated with what was in your wallet.  I was always like, hey a card's a card, and Discover had stuck by me through the rough patches.

In Feb of 2009, I purchased a used 2008 red Volvo for 19k and took a new job with a big pay increase. I gave up my company truck when I took a  new job.    The dude I was dating had the audacity to ask if I could afford the car, nvm the fact that I made more than him. Looking back, knowing what I know now, I think he thought I was poor because I carried a discover card, either that or he thought I had bought the car for much more than I actually did. We broke up Smiley Wink   What loser asks his GF if she can actually afford the car she just bought?  Car was paid down to 10k remaining and refinanced with Chase after 12 months. My husband and I paid the car off this yr, exactly 3 yrs after it was purchased.

FICO 9:

Message 26 of 33
poops
Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
So this thread is about awkward moments with credit cards.... ill start with mine.

So we are at dinner with my in laws; and my husband who is just super proud of everything that has happened this year/ new house; paying off two cars; honeymoon to Alaska; amex...

So hes super proud and he has this rivalry with his older brother because the.older brother is the favorite even though the brother has had 3 cars and two houses repoed/foreclosed.

So he starts rubbing it in to his parents about how well we are doing and basically mentions we could buy a fairly nice car with the nfcu credit card. I was super embarrassed; I had a little discussion with him about how our credit limits was not something to rub in for his little rivalry. Anyways I was embarrassed... you'd think the rivalry would be gone now considering my husband is 34!

Nothing beats a sibling rivalry. Especially b/w brothers... Let him have his thrills. Though it may come off as embarassing to you, his parents probably understand what's going on and where he's coming from.

Message 27 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@poops wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
So this thread is about awkward moments with credit cards.... ill start with mine.

So we are at dinner with my in laws; and my husband who is just super proud of everything that has happened this year/ new house; paying off two cars; honeymoon to Alaska; amex...

So hes super proud and he has this rivalry with his older brother because the.older brother is the favorite even though the brother has had 3 cars and two houses repoed/foreclosed.

So he starts rubbing it in to his parents about how well we are doing and basically mentions we could buy a fairly nice car with the nfcu credit card. I was super embarrassed; I had a little discussion with him about how our credit limits was not something to rub in for his little rivalry. Anyways I was embarrassed... you'd think the rivalry would be gone now considering my husband is 34!

Nothing beats a sibling rivalry. Especially b/w brothers... Let him have his thrills. Though it may come off as embarassing to you, his parents probably understand what's going on and where he's coming from.

I was a middle child too, which is why I understand where its coming from...  I stopped trying to prove I was better than my siblings a long time ago...  In my case, bragging is not needed. Also, I realized that my parents love me in their own little way, even though they may show their love to my siblings in different ways than they show it to me.

I think the year it stopped mattering was the year I could honestly tell my parents that I couldn't think of anything that I wanted or needed for christmas. It mae me proud to be in a situation where knew that I have everything that I need or possibly want.  Part of that comes from contentment and peace of mind in life and the realization that "stuff" isn't where fulfillment comes from.   There were many years where unequal treatment amongst me and my siblings bothered me to the point of tears. It doesn't really matter and life will never be fair, so now it stopped bothering me.

I'm hoping that my husband can be at that point one day Smiley Happy  For his own happiness in life.

FICO 9:

Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have a good head on your shoulders webhopper, and your heart and priorities in life are in the right place. Your husband is lucky to have you. Now with that said you have a sister that happens to be single? Smiley Happy

Nothing wrong with a little sibling rivalry. It is a little odd to have it as grown adults though. I had a sibling rivalry with my sister, but that was only when we were kids, lived in the same house and were competing for our parents love and attention. lol it has ended when we grew up.

As for awkward moments I really don't have one yet that I would consider awkward since I have only been using a credit card for a year now. A date last year I pulled out a capital one platinum haha but there are worse cards than that so I really can't say I have had an awkward moment yet. Maybe next year if the credit card surcharges do come into effect and I balk at the surcharge and hold up the line fumbling for cash and change as I really want to avoid debit cards.

Message 29 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

You have a good head on your shoulders webhopper, and your heart and priorities in life are in the right place. Your husband is lucky to have you. Now with that said you have a sister that happens to be single? Smiley Happy

Nothing wrong with a little sibling rivalry. It is a little odd to have it as grown adults though. I had a sibling rivalry with my sister, but that was only when we were kids, lived in the same house and were competing for our parents love and attention. lol it has ended when we grew up.

As for awkward moments I really don't have one yet that I would consider awkward since I have only been using a credit card for a year now. A date last year I pulled out a capital one platinum haha but there are worse cards than that so I really can't say I have had an awkward moment yet. Maybe next year if the credit card surcharges do come into effect and I balk at the surcharge and hold up the line fumbling for cash and change as I really want to avoid debit cards.

I have a sister that works for the state, and I have another sister that lives with her boyfriend in his travel trailer and follows him around the country... she is a little odd, didn't work for like 18 months and didn't really try hard to find a job until the unemployment was almost out.  Her boyfriend was the same way.

My baby sister that works for the state does so after watching me and my career... she decided she didn't want the stress associated with getting paid according for performance... She is a traffic engineer for the state of Louisiana.

There were four of us kids, and limited resources.  My parents definately had favorites, it was pretty obvious. Especially as it continues to be obvious...

How else can you explain why 2/3 of your kids had to pay their own way through college and 2/3 of your kids is actually still paying back the student loans... and the 3rd kid gets a free ride?  2/3 kids  had to buy their own car which was a beater, or just not have one, and the 3rd kid gets a really nice ride and really doesn't have to pay for it...  the 4th kid didn't go to college but my parents bought him a brand new truck and yep, you guessed it, cosigned!  The ended up paying the truck off when my brother didn't make the payments

Back then it really bothered me, especially when times were tough and the golden child seemed to have everything... while I really didn't have enough to eat.

But you know, that's not really my fault, there's nothing that I can do to change how my parents chose to raise their kids. I turned out great and I'm more successful than even my parents at this point due to the hard times and everything that I went through.  So anymore, it doesn't bother me and I'm actually glad I had to fight for everything, it made me a bulldog in business and investing. And I married someone who is also not capable of taking no for an answer or making excuses, so I really scored double time because of the inequality haha.  

My parents didn't do my siblings any favors by making things easier for them.

FICO 9:

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.