Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B of A Blacklist?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

B of A Blacklist?

I've been receiving a lot of CC offers in the mail lately, including one from my college Alumni Association that piques my interest.  The card is issued by B of A.  About 7 years ago, I had an overdraft with their checking account that charged off.  Now, I still have no desire to get a new credit card at this point.  However, I'd like to phase out some of my lower-tier cards in the long run and get one more good card to add to my mix down the road.  I'd be interested in this card at that point, but am wondering if my checking overdraft would cause me to be on some sort of "blacklist"

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Re: B of A Blacklist?

Don't know about checking charge off but I bankrupted on a company they later acquired and I've been blacklisted. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 2 of 7
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Bofa has a long memory. My father burned them too about 7 years ago and they dont want anything to do with him at all. Even now 7 years later.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 7
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I've been receiving a lot of CC offers in the mail lately, including one from my college Alumni Association that piques my interest.  The card is issued by B of A.  About 7 years ago, I had an overdraft with their checking account that charged off.  Now, I still have no desire to get a new credit card at this point.  However, I'd like to phase out some of my lower-tier cards in the long run and get one more good card to add to my mix down the road.  I'd be interested in this card at that point, but am wondering if my checking overdraft would cause me to be on some sort of "blacklist"

I have the exact, similar story as you do...I burned BOA with checking account, and still today I can't open a checking account with them.  My college alumni association credit card is backed by BOA, and I've applied back in June of this year and was approved for 1k.  Apparently BOA checking account & CC depatment is completely different. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 4 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

BofA blacklist is inconsistent. However, I dont think the CO on the checking account will effect a credit card app.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@sjt wrote:

BofA blacklist is inconsistent. However, I dont think the CO on the checking account will effect a credit card app.

While they may be inconsistent to some degree, it depends on the loss and how long ago this occurred.  Since an overdraft LOC would have been technicaly tied to their lending systems, unlike these days where a BOA CC serves as a back up to OD.

Message 6 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@sjt wrote:

While they may be inconsistent to some degree, it depends on the loss and how long ago this occurred.  Since an overdraft LOC would have been technicaly tied to their lending systems, unlike these days where a BOA CC serves as a back up to OD.

I understand the loss was due to an overdraft on his checking, where the bank probably paid a check/debit against NSF and/or accumulated fees that added to the OD. OP did not mention LOC.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.