Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B of A Live Chat Conversation

tag
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

B of A Live Chat Conversation

Here is a conversation I had with a Live Chat Rep at B of A.  Notice her saying that the "pre-approval" was inaccurate...

Thank you for choosing Bank of America. An operator will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Kris.
Kris: Hello, I would be happy to assist you in selecting the credit card that best fits your needs.
you: hi Kris
Kris: Hello!
you: I have other credit cards that aren't secured but when I look for B of A offers I get the secured card Smiley Sad
you: my FICO score is around 640-650
Kris: I'm sorry to hear.  It's a great card that will help you build up your credit so you will be eligible for unsecure card types in the future!
Kris: When was the last time you applied for a Bank of America credit card?
you: can't remember that exactly, maybe December. The pre-approval thingy on your site gives me the Sec Card for an offer.
Kris: No problem.  You can still try for our Visa Platinum Plus card anyways.  That pre-approval system isn't accurate most of the time. If you are not approved for that Visa Platinum Plus card that is an unsecure card, you will automatically be reviewed for the Secure card type anyways.  Would you like to try this?
you: December 14th was the last time I applied with B of A
you: I have lots of inquiries due to me just shopping credit cards.
Kris: That's fine, as long as it has been over 30 days, you can apply again.  Would you like to consider that Visa Platinum Plus credit card option that I mentioned?  
you: I am not sure I would like to risk the "Hard Pull" on my credit report.
Kris: No problem.  Is there anything else I may assist you with?
you: no that's it, perhaps, if you find that I qualify in the future you can send me an offer to apply to : xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
Kris: Unfortunately, I cannot e-mail outside the bank.  But you are more than welcome to come back to see what card offers we have later in the future if you would like.
you: OK, I thought maybe you had a mailing list. OK, Thanks
Kris: You're welcome!  While I have you here, I would like to mention that our MyAccess Checking Account is now free when you open it online.  Would you like more information on this offer?
you: not at this time, Thanks though
Kris: You're welcome!  It was a pleasure assisting you today.  To exit this chat session, please click the Close button.  Thanks for choosing Bank of America, have a great day!

07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: B of A Live Chat Conversation

She didn't really say the preapproval was inaccurate.  It seems to me she was subtly trying to let you know that if you apply for the Platinum Plus, you might be turned down and offered a different secured card than the one you're preapproved for: the 99/500.  That's the only way you can get that card.

Notice she did say that, "If you are not approved for that Visa Platinum Plus card that is an unsecure card, you will automatically be reviewed for the Secure card type anyways."

Betcha anything she's talking about the 99/500 there, but just can't say so.

Message 2 of 14
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

I think I'll pass on any secured cards.  That's going backwards if you ask me.  Smiley Wink
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 3 of 14
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Depends on what type of unsecured cards a person has.
A secured BofA might not always being going "backwards" haha
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a very similar with an online CSR at BoA last October. I inquired about the 99/500 card. She said it's a counter offer card only, but suggested I try for the Visa Platinum Plus card.

I did, and was declined, and on the decline page was the counter offer for the 99/500 card just like the CSR said. I applied, sent in the $99 and have the card and happy to have it.

Even though it's one of my lowest limit cards, it's with a prime bank and will become unsecured this coming October, the security deposit returned to me. And after a cli or 2 it will be a prime card. I'm holding onto it, even though I have cards over 10 times that cl.
Message 5 of 14
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have their 99/500 card which should become unsecure in the next 3 months. Counting Days....
Message 6 of 14
granny031350
Established Contributor

so is that how you guys made the jump to a "prime card"  I have the usual subprime suspects but want to have 1 prime card that grows with me so I can eventually close out the cortrust's of the world.  I just applied to Citi and got the 30 day message but am sure it is a denial because of my BK in 05.  (used to have Citi back in the day, 7500 limit.  paid off and closed in 2000) 

Message Edited by granny031350 on 03-31-2008 02:53 PM
Message 7 of 14
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Yeah Citi will Probably be a no.  My Mom has a 720 score but a Bk 7 years ago gets her a big fat no from Citi.  She does have WaMu and Juniper though, Ya might want to try there.Smiley Wink

07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

granny, for me it was....in part. I had just finished cleaning the 'baddies' off my CR's when I received 2 pre-approvals(WaMu & Juniper). I "cold" applied to BoA, and responded to the pre-apps, and was accepted for all 3. That's how I started.

Of all the cc's I've applied for in the past 6 months, I've regretted every day about applying for the Juniper card. So it's going to meet its early demise in April or May. Some people have the Juni card and like them, and have never had any problems with them.

Message Edited by Sylviatob on 03-31-2008 05:08 PM
Message 9 of 14
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

concorduser wrote:
I have their 99/500 card which should become unsecure in the next 3 months. Counting Days....

I'm surprised that's not your Sig yet haha, I'd be counting down too! 

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.