Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B of A in collections but I want to re-open

tag
boogiesaveslives
Regular Contributor

B of A in collections but I want to re-open

Hello all.  This is my first time posting, so here it goes...

I had a B of A unsecured card that I did great with for about a year and a half until I became unemployed in the end of '09.  It went into collections but I have continued to make payments on the account directly to BofA and have about $200 left to pay.  I'm a full time student set to graduate this June, after which I will have a decent income as an RN.  I need to rebuild my credit since my finances went into the dumps when I became a single mom, and in doing so I screwed over Citibank, HSBC Best Buy and Capital One.  I know my options are limited and I would really like to get my B of A card back.  Do I have a chance of reestablishing my relationship with them? I've also had a checking account with them for about 9 years.  I also just came across a bunch of backdoor numbers, but I'm not sure which department I should contact.  

Student loans are all in good standing, but I have no revolving accounts.  7 baddies (3 collections including BofA, Cap 1 and HSBC).  I have a handfull good standing but old and closed GEMB accounts, so I'm thinking I might app with GEMB as well after I see what happens with the round of GWs I sent out for some of the baddies.

Starting: TU 616 (VS) EQ 598 (FICO) EX 619 (FAKO)
Current: TU 660(FICO) EQ 702 (FICO) EX 716 (FICO)
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: B of A in collections but I want to re-open

I don't think you have a chance to get back in with BofA... maybe a secured card once you finish paying them off and get more of your baddies cleaned up but they have gotten a lot stricter on baddies these days.

Message 2 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

Yes, you can get back with BOA.  I opened an account with MBNA that went bad.  It went into collections.  I eventually paid them off in full.  A few years later, I was able to get a new card with BOA.  The old account appears with my new account when I log into BOA's website.  I got an instant approval for $5000 and today the line is $7000. 

Message 3 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

FYI... Out of all the bad accounts that I had from 2004(lates, CO and collections, repo), I never had to wait for them to fall off my credit reports.  I used a variety of tactics with each bank to get them to removed the tradelines. I've been free of any baddies since July 2009. 

Message 4 of 22
vish1
Valued Contributor

@laurasiew wrote:

Hello all.  This is my first time posting, so here it goes...

I had a B of A unsecured card that I did great with for about a year and a half until I became unemployed in the end of '09.  It went into collections but I have continued to make payments on the account directly to BofA and have about $200 left to pay.  I'm a full time student set to graduate this June, after which I will have a decent income as an RN.  I need to rebuild my credit since my finances went into the dumps when I became a single mom, and in doing so I screwed over Citibank, HSBC Best Buy and Capital One.  I know my options are limited and I would really like to get my B of A card back.  Do I have a chance of reestablishing my relationship with them? I've also had a checking account with them for about 9 years.  I also just came across a bunch of backdoor numbers, but I'm not sure which department I should contact.  

Student loans are all in good standing, but I have no revolving accounts.  7 baddies (3 collections including BofA, Cap 1 and HSBC).  I have a handfull good standing but old and closed GEMB accounts, so I'm thinking I might app with GEMB as well after I see what happens with the round of GWs I sent out for some of the baddies.

GEMB may be a good idea once you are done with your round of GW letters. If they decline, the best bet will be to open a secured card with a local CU and then reapply with GEMB about 3-4 months later (unless your previous decline is for baddies).

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 22
boogiesaveslives
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info  DI.  What kind of tactics did you use may I ask?  Did you do more than GWs and DVs?

Message 6 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

@laurasiew wrote:

Thanks for the info  DI.  What kind of tactics did you use may I ask?  Did you do more than GWs and DVs?

To get the repo off it took a lot of work and consistency.  I  faxed them daily.  I sited the FCRA and FDCPA against the mistakes they made(I provided proof they didn't understand the laws and threatened to get news media involved) .

For a card with Dillards I filed a complaint with the BBB saying the account wasn't mine and that I didn't reconize the account number and called it fraudulant.  I asked them to provide me the history of the account showing late payments dating back to 2003. They provided something but it wasn't to my satisfaction.    I think the account was transferred and sold  the reason why I used the fraud tactic with the Dillards account.  I  sent a goodwill email to the CEO and got a response back mail saying basically  they couldn't remove it.  But the next day it was gone.  Either my complaint with the BBB or to the CEO got it removed regardless what they originally stated they couldn't do.   

For the other accounts with  Discover and 2 Citi accounts I just simply disputed the accounts with multiple reasons with the CRAs. All three got deleted within 2 months. The funny thing with Citi and Discover, I got approved for new cards the following months. 

I spent my entire summer May-July 2009 cleaning up my credit and it was worth it.  Again, July 2009, I had no more baddies. 

Message 7 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Best thing to do with BOA, pay off the remaining balance in full. Wait 3 months and let it update the reports. Then apply for secure credit card. Some times they offer 99/500 card which would graduate after 11 months and they will increase your credit limit based on your scores at that time. I had a similar card and now it is at CL of $16,0000.

Message 8 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

Best thing to do with BOA, pay off the remaining balance in full. Wait 3 months and let it update the reports. Then apply for secure credit card. Some times they offer 99/500 card which would graduate after 11 months and they will increase your credit limit based on your scores at that time. I had a similar card and now it is at CL of $16,0000.

Why apply for a secured card when they obviously gave me and probably others a new account despite the bad history with them?  But maybe things have changed now.   Seriously, when I log into my BOA account, I still see my old account, but the link isn't active like the new current account.  I even asked them if that account can be reopened or backdate my 2008 account to the 2001 account. 

Message 9 of 22
boogiesaveslives
Regular Contributor

Really good input everyone.

Just so you know, I've tried a few of the backdoor numbers and they definitely won't let me reopen the account after PIF.  I know it was a shot in the dark, but it was worth a try.  She said I might be able to get a secured.  Hopefully it'll be that 99/500.

I was also told that I should be dealing with the collection agency directly even though I have been paying BofA directly.  

I'm close to paying off the balance and I would like to PFD when I do so, but the collection agency isn't reporting, BofA is.  What would be the best way to handle this?  Should I PFD the collection agency or BofA?

I'm also getting pretty antsy because I really want to open a cc to get the ball rolling.  I really need a good payment history to bring my score up.  My EQ is 610.  So far I've gotten rid of 3 baddies, 1 falls off next month and waiting on 3 GWs.  I have 3 legitimate collections (including BofA, Cap1 and Best Buy) that I'm working on.   Cap1 I might ignore since it falls off next year.  I guess it can't hurt to wait another month for the cc.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.