Did you mean: 

B of A in collections but I want to re-open

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: B of A in collections but I want to re-open

@laurasiew wrote:

Really good input everyone.

Just so you know, I've tried a few of the backdoor numbers and they definitely won't let me reopen the account after PIF.  I know it was a shot in the dark, but it was worth a try.  She said I might be able to get a secured.  Hopefully it'll be that 99/500.

I was also told that I should be dealing with the collection agency directly even though I have been paying BofA directly.  

I'm close to paying off the balance and I would like to PFD when I do so, but the collection agency isn't reporting, BofA is.  What would be the best way to handle this?  Should I PFD the collection agency or BofA?

I'm also getting pretty antsy because I really want to open a cc to get the ball rolling.  I really need a good payment history to bring my score up.  My EQ is 610.  So far I've gotten rid of 3 baddies, 1 falls off next month and waiting on 3 GWs.  I have 3 legitimate collections (including BofA, Cap1 and Best Buy) that I'm working on.   Cap1 I might ignore since it falls off next year.  I guess it can't hurt to wait another month for the cc.

Is the collection inhouse with BOA?  I'm confused about how you're able to continue to pay BOA directly.  If BOA is accepting your payments, maybe you can get them to pull your account back from the collection agency. They're losing money if it's with an outside collection agency.   BOA do not reopen old accounts.  I have tried several times to get my old account reopen or atleast have the new account backdated. 

Message 11 of 22
boogiesaveslives
Regular Contributor

The collection agency is an outside agency.  Prior to it being sold, I was paying directly to BofA through the online bill pay.  I never changed a thing but the payments are still going through and reflecting on my credit report.  I'm confused, the BofA CSR was confused, so join the club.  BofA told me to contact the collection agency, but yet she was able to see every payment I've made...

Maybe I should keep calling until I find someone who actually understands.

Good suggestion on trying to get BofA to pull the account back.  Any suggestions on how to do so?

Starting: TU 616 (VS) EQ 598 (FICO) EX 619 (FAKO)
Current: TU 660(FICO) EQ 702 (FICO) EX 716 (FICO)
Message 12 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

Tell them you've been making your payments in good faith for said amount of months or years, and ask if they could pull your account back from the collec tion  agency.  Do it in writing rather than via phone.  Continue to make payments directly thru them for as long as they allow it.   

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA can accept the payments but they have to foward them to the collection agency. Sounds dumb but that is how it works.

At my job we have to do this when someone sends a payment that is in collections.

Message 14 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BOA can accept the payments but they have to foward them to the collection agency. Sounds dumb but that is how it works.

At my job we have to do this when someone sends a payment that is in collections.

Have you all ever taken accounts out of collections?

Message 15 of 22
boogiesaveslives
Regular Contributor

Good question Di.

But if BofA is forwarding the payments to the collection agency, why is BofA reporting and not the CA?

Message 16 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

@laurasiew wrote:

Good question Di.

But if BofA is forwarding the payments to the collection agency, why is BofA reporting and not the CA?

It could be to avoid FCRA issues.  Many times when  creditors send accounts to outside collections it create problems.  For example, the collection agency may incorrectly report the DOFD or something similar.  BOA could just be trying to avoid those type of issues they learned from past mistakes and lawsuit payouts. 

Message 17 of 22
boogiesaveslives
Regular Contributor

Ok, that makes sense, but then back to the question, should I PFD the CA or BofA?

Sorry to be redundant.

Message 18 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

@laurasiew wrote:

Ok, that makes sense, but then back to the question, should I PFD the CA or BofA?

Sorry to be redundant.

You can negotiate with the collection agency.  Be certain you have everything in writing that both accounts will get deleted after payment.  The CRAs will want a copy of the letter if the creditor and collection agency doesn't submit the request themselves. 

Message 19 of 22
boogiesaveslives
Regular Contributor

Awesome.  Thanks for the help!

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.