Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B of A preselected

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

B of A preselected

Hello myFicos,

When I log into my B of A checking account I have a message telling me that I'm preselected for a secured credit card. APR 20.99 - $39.00 annual fee. 

Does anyone know what B of A means by "preselected"?  Will they do a hard pull if I apply? Have they done a soft pull and determined that my credit score and credit factors are sufficient? I don't want to risk a denial right now ... any help appreciated.

---

TU = 709 EQ = 710 EX = No Score

5 month credit history

No negatives

No late payments

14 inquires (EX) 3 inquires (TU) 1 inquire (EQ)

Utilization = 2%

5 accounts:

OpenSky secured 500.00

First Choice secured 400.00

Cap One secured 200.00

J Crew 1000.00

William Sonoma Visa 2000.00 

bofa.jpg

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: B of A preselected

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. I would say you're Approval is pretty much guaranteed but can't say if it's a SP or HP.

I definitely wouldn't do BofA's Secured card, it comes with an Annual Fee and it's not the greatest.

If you're looking for a good Secured card I would highly recommend Discover. I got a Secured card through them and it graduated to unsecured at 7 months. On top of that they let you earn CashBack on your purchases which most Secured cards don't, then at the end of your first year with them they double all the CashBack you've earned. Discover > BofA Secured any day.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores needed for Discover Secured are 615+ for easy approval no fees, free CashBack, great customer service and graduates in 7 months if your scores are 670+.
Message 3 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

OP - are those actual FICO scores you put up there?  Your credit history is only 5 months - if you just keep those scores where they are or higher and wait a month or two, you should have absolutely NO problem getting a real unsecured credit card!

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

K-In-Boston - Completely agree, I think OP should go for the Discover Un-Secured, BofA doesn't have many rewards, plus their Secured card has an AF. They love thin files, especially when they hit a home run out of the gate like OP did with those scores!
Message 5 of 15
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't do it. I would say you're Approval is pretty much guaranteed but can't say if it's a SP or HP.

I definitely wouldn't do BofA's Secured card, it comes with an Annual Fee and it's not the greatest.

If you're looking for a good Secured card I would highly recommend Discover. I got a Secured card through them and it graduated to unsecured at 7 months. On top of that they let you earn CashBack on your purchases which most Secured cards don't, then at the end of your first year with them they double all the CashBack you've earned. Discover > BofA Secured any day.

The Boa secured card isn't bad it graduates in 6-9 months OP would have a unsecured card and he could hit em up for a CLI right after.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi K-in-Boston, the scores I posted are creditkarma, not to be trusted. I don't have an Experian score yet ... I'm guessing they'll give me a score in a month or two. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bigpoppa - With a $40 annual fee due right away it's bad. This card earns no rewards at all, and:

"Deposit return

After 12 months, your account may be reviewed and, based on your overall credit history, you may qualify to have your security deposit returned while you continue to use your card. Some customers may not qualify after 12 months."

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/secured-credit-card/

Compare that to Discover's Secured card which can Graduate at 7 months, has NO Annual Fee, earns rewards, AND Doubles all the CashBack you've earned in your first year with them. Smiley Wink

Comparing the two it's a no brainer.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Matt4200,

I keep checking Discover's prequal page but they aren't offering me anything, not even the secured card ... I've read that it's very hard to get a Discover approval. Seems like it might be a safer bet to apply for the B of A secured card that I'm "preselected" for. It graduates in 12 months. But I don't know what "preselected" actually means...

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gamewithrules - Check your inbox sent you a message

Also, you get your FICO score after 6 months of credit history. Once you hit 6 months you can use:

https://www.creditscorecard.com (Free Experian FICO)

Or

Creditchecktotal.com ($1 (7) day trial shows all 3 FICO)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.