cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BA Avios redemption sale is back!!!!

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: BA Avios redemption sale is back!!!!

@B335is wrote:
Meh, I just can't getonboard withAvios. The surcharges for touchingLHR are just so darn high. A couple hundred $ more and you can skip using miles altogether. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on it and I love BAinflight product, but aside from that,LHR seems to always delay my baggage and put my arriving flight into the famous hold pattern. I won't even mention the "fast track" security. Gosh I am really down onLHR Smiley Happy

+1 I was just looking at the redemption for NY to London. It doesn't take many avios at all, but with the fuel charges you are actually better off buying your ticket than redeeming! People thinking about avios need to heavily factor in things like fuel surcharges and the loss of miles you can earn on a paid flight. In many situations avios can be a bad redemption. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 28
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Hmmm...I guess this would be a good time to book a trip to Spain via Iberia (very low fuel surcharges).

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 12 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:
Meh, I just can't getonboard withAvios. The surcharges for touchingLHR are just so darn high. A couple hundred $ more and you can skip using miles altogether. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on it and I love BAinflight product, but aside from that,LHR seems to always delay my baggage and put my arriving flight into the famous hold pattern. I won't even mention the "fast track" security. Gosh I am really down onLHR Smiley Happy

+1 I was just looking at the redemption for NY to London. It doesn't take many avios at all, but with the fuel charges you are actually better off buying your ticket than redeeming! People thinking about avios need to heavily factor in things like fuel surcharges and the loss of miles you can earn on a paid flight. In many situations avios can be a bad redemption. 

Need to keep redemption under 3,000 miles.  Great for domestic short hauls especially if you are near an American hub. BOS to DUB Aer Lingus 12,500 one way 2,993 miles great redemption.  You must stay away from surcharges for it to have value.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 13 of 28
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Great for some, not for all.

As is much in life.

Personally, living on the West Coast (aka Best Coast) great deals are to be had. 

Message 14 of 28
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@ccb2115 wrote:

Hmmm...I guess this would be a good time to book a trip to Spain via Iberia (very low fuel surcharges).

Claro que si! Tienes que ir!

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm feelin' kinda stupid. I don't see how to see how many avios it'd be. I'm looking at LAX or SAN - LHR 2/6-2/14/16 just for kicks. I see the prices. I don't see anywhere that I can tell it I want the prices in avios instead. Or would I have to have an EC account first, and then I could see that? 

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

is there any way on the app to redeem the avios for straight cash?

Message 17 of 28
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm feelin' kinda stupid. I don't see how to see how many avios it'd be. I'm looking at LAX or SAN - LHR 2/6-2/14/16 just for kicks. I see the prices. I don't see anywhere that I can tell it I want the prices in avios instead. Or would I have to have an EC account first, and then I could see that? 

Good catch! Looks like you have to have an account.

When I log in and do it, this is what it shows

image.jpg

And this is if you pay cash:

image.jpg

Not or a good redemption on this flight. 

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. 

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

As suspected. Any flight that crosses the atlantic on BA metal is a suckfest for redemption value.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.