Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BANKONE credit card

tag
Mortalito77
Regular Contributor

BANKONE credit card

Ok, 

Not sure if this message belongs here, if it doesn't I deeply apologize. Anyways, here's what I got going on I pulled my credit report and it shows I have an OPEN BankOne credit card. Here's my concern, the credit limit I have one that "credit card" is 3k but the last recorded activity on the account is from 4/1/1997 LONG time ago. Well, the account is helping me with my available credit considering that it's been open since 1997!!!

I am concerned that if I dispute this account it could lead to the removal of it therefore; hurting me big time on my AAoA. I know by doing some research that BANKONE was purchased by Chase, I could have read it wrong, someone please help me on that info, so I was wondering if so, should I go forward and see if I have potentially a credit card account with Chase??? I currently bank with them.. but I know these things with banks buying other banks could be very confusing. I used to have lots of credit cards before when my credit was excellent but I don't remember having a credit card from them. As I mentioned before, no activity since April 1 1997 (no Aprils fools jokes) but after I updated my credit report with some info being disputed this one is still there.. Help guys!

Thank you!! (should I investigate or just leave it alone) it's not hurting me, it's actually helping me.

The WorLd Is Yours

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: BANKONE credit card

@Mortalito77 wrote:

Ok, 

Not sure if this message belongs here, if it doesn't I deeply apologize. Anyways, here's what I got going on I pulled my credit report and it shows I have an OPEN BankOne credit card. Here's my concern, the credit limit I have one that "credit card" is 3k but the last recorded activity on the account is from 4/1/1997 LONG time ago. Well, the account is helping me with my available credit considering that it's been open since 1997!!!

I am concerned that if I dispute this account it could lead to the removal of it therefore; hurting me big time on my AAoA. I know by doing some research that BANKONE was purchased by Chase, I could have read it wrong, someone please help me on that info, so I was wondering if so, should I go forward and see if I have potentially a credit card account with Chase??? I currently bank with them.. but I know these things with banks buying other banks could be very confusing. I used to have lots of credit cards before when my credit was excellent but I don't remember having a credit card from them. As I mentioned before, no activity since April 1 1997 (no Aprils fools jokes) but after I updated my credit report with some info being disputed this one is still there.. Help guys!

Thank you!! (should I investigate or just leave it alone) it's not hurting me, it's actually helping me.

Personally I would take it off because it isn't yours and down the line the person who owns it can just stop paying for it and then it could hurt you. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Mortalito77 wrote:

Ok, 

I wouldn't dispute it.   But if you're looking to access that line of credit, maybe you should call whatever number is provided on the CRs.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 10
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

Bank one was purchased by chase I believe in 2005 or 2006. I would call to see if it's in fact your account.

Message 4 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting situation.  Worst case if you dispute it, it gets removed and you lose AAoA.  If you don't dispute it, it could continue reporting that way indefinitely.  I can see if it wasn't your account disputing it.  If it were me, I would leave it be - mostly because I need everything possible at the moment for my AAoA.

Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Did you check the wiki page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_One_Corporation ?  Before Bank One merged with Chase, it had bought a large number of other banks.  Could you have had a card with any on that list (which then became Bank One cards)

Message 6 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Mortalito77 wrote:

Ok, 

Personally I would take it off because it isn't yours and down the line the person who owns it can just stop paying for it and then it could hurt you. 

Since the last recorded activity was 1997, that's probably not  a big concern,  And the account really could be the OPs.

Message 7 of 10
keithB
Established Contributor

Chase owns BankOne?!?  Really?

Message 8 of 10
Mortalito77
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for all the helpful comments. I will take them all into consideration. I honestly wish it was an account that I could give movement to update C.R

The WorLd Is Yours

Message 9 of 10
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Mortalito77 wrote:

Ok, 

Since the last recorded activity was 1997, that's probably not  a big concern,  And the account really could be the OPs.

I was assuming the Account isn't his. If it is his then he has a new TL ( New to him) that he didn't know about. If not even though lightly could happen it still can ... More of a pain to take it off now vs later imo. Isn't worth the AAoA hit 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.