Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BARCLAY RETURNED PAYMENT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BARCLAY RETURNED PAYMENT

So yesterday I submitted my payment for the balance on my barclay reward mastercard (due 6/1) and spoke to a rep and closed out the account (i have another barclay card and didnt need two).  My balance was $167.01 to which i made a payment for out of my capital one checking account.  I used this acct for credit card payments and transfer over the funds from another account.  I only had $100 in this capital one checking acct, so i made a $100 depoist this morning to cover the payment.  I just received a email from capital one saying that my payment was returned for lack of funds ( i guess i didnt deposit the money in time).  I just went ahead and made the payment again via their website.  My questions are: 1) Will they charge me a returned payment fee? 2) Will they charge me a late payment seeing how it was due yesterday, but that payment is being returned, but then I just went ahead and made a payment now (day late)?  I know i am going to have to give them a call to explain it.  Do you think this will have any impact to my other barlcay card that is open?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BARCLAY RETURNED PAYMENT

This is why we should never schedule a payment until we have money in the account. It's hard to say what will happen (late fees, etc), but it's kinda of crazy that they processed your payment that fast. If the payment really did get returned, then Barclay will have a record of it and it could affect your other account with them.

Message 2 of 14
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Yeah justme3 is right,  I once scheduled a payment with Amex at 9pm, and it was taken out of my checking account the next morning.  When most of the time it takes them a day or two! 

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 3 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And I would guess Capital One will charge you a fee

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would expect fees for sure and it may not "immediately" impact your other Barclay card but I would be damn certain the first time down the road you ask for a CLI it will be denied and they will reference the returned payment.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

i will eat the fees if needed, but i just dont want it being reported to the credit bureau for being a day late.  My last late payment on my credit report was a school loan 8 years ago.

Message 6 of 14
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i will eat the fees if needed, but i just dont want it being reported to the credit bureau for being a day late.  My last late payment on my credit report was a school loan 8 years ago.

It wont be reported as late. That happens 30 days after the payment was due.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't worry it won't be reported to the bureaus, it would have to be 30+ days late for that.

Message 8 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Lots of good info so far... I'll only add that before you call up Barclays and "fall on the sword" give things a few days for the dust to settle.

There's a chance they'll resubmit the ACH debit on the back-end and it won't ever reflect as a 'bounced' payment.  If this is the case you'll still have fees from your checking account but Barclays will be none the wiser.  (If they don't it won't hurt anything to wait a couple of days in any case.)

This happened to me years ago with Amex... there was a 'glitch' on my end and I immediately called Amex up and explained everything (and I overnighted them a cashier's check) but they sent my check back through multiple times, each time creating another OD fee with my bank.  I finally had to stop payment on the check, and only then did Amex show the payment as 'returned'... for nearly a week they gave me credit for both the 'bounced' payment and my cashier's check, which created a credit balance until everything finally settled.  If only I hadn't intervened so quickly it would have worked itself out.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I accidentally clicked the wrong bank on a Cap1 account before and had the payment returned.

I received no fees and the payment was no where close to being late.

I called in and was told that there was no adverse action on my account.

However the next month 0% BT offers disappeared.

I immediately removed one of the accounts. I learned my lesson.

1-account with plenty of cash in it is the way to go

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.