Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB&T Platinum Visa

tag
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

BB&T Platinum Visa

Anyone else here have this card? There's barely any mention of it anywhere on the Internet. I've had it for a little over a year and took advantage of a 12 month 0% APR promo on balance transfers to pay off all my cards last summer (I've been debt free for a year! Woo hoo!)

Anyway, it's a pretty decent card, with by far my lowest APR (11.15%). I've had a period of inactivity but recently started using the card again and PIF each month. I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with BB&T's credit cards when it comes to CLI's. There are virtually no online management tools (view bill, pay from a BB&T account, and that's it) so I would have to call in to do it. Wondering if they are worth asking, and if it's a hard or soft pull?

Tried searching, no real mention of BB&T anywhere...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

Re: BB&T Platinum Visa

If you pif each month then the interest rate on a cc is moot. I had BBT accounts at one point but declined my bankers offer for the visa platinum. Too many other cards with either lower AF, better rewards, better online tools.
Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My father has the card, got it several years ago for the 0% BT also.  After the credit crash and BofA reducing CL he tried to do another BT and it was declined based on high balances on other cards... however the nice thing was is they didn't reduce the CL or close the account, so little weird since he could make purchases up to CL vs BT.

His CL started at 15k and has never moved up or down, his rate is up around 15%, they said based on credit at opening.

They also have a $7500 over draft line of credit and use to have a $80k Home Equity until they sold house recently.

Message 3 of 7
easy_chap
Established Member

I have this card. Opened in April I believe. My credit limit is $3,500 with APR of 9.15%. I have not actually used this card since I opened the account but for a balance transfer. They were offering 6 months no interest though. I have other friends who have it & they really like it. I prefer my AMEX but I bank with BB&T and it is convenient to see all accounts on one screen in online banking.
Message 4 of 7
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I'm in a similar boat, I use my AMEX for everything. I let the BB&T Visa largely go dormant for a while but I've been putting some use on it lately in hopes of asking for a CLI after a few months of use. We'll see what happens.

By the way, when you log in to your BB&T Online Banking, do you have a balance transfer link under your Visa Card entry on the account list screen? My partner has the same card and his shows a link to transfer a balance which goes to a form to fill out for the transfer. I have no such link. I transferred a balance shortly after opening the card but I submitted the request over the phone. I have no need to transfer a balance, but I find it curious that he has the link and I do not.

Message 5 of 7
easy_chap
Established Member

Yeah I would like a CLI as well but I was happy with the limit I was given, considering I am only 20 years old. I did the transfer in the branch and I haven't looked to see if the option to do one online or not, so I logged in online to see if I could. I do not have any type of link or anything that mentions that option. I actually have a friend who works in a branch so I will ask and see why it is not there. I am sure that you can still do a transfer in the branch or over the phone if needed.
Message 6 of 7
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Awesome, thanks. There's so much that's a mystery about this bank. Ever since the overdraft regulations took effect, they have mailed me a postcard... every day... one for every account... reminding me that I am opted out of overdraft coverage. I've started saving them. I'm not sure what I'll ever do with them, but at least they provide some entertainment. It appears they do not mail them out on Wednesdays. My Friday mail delivery always includes a double order. Is it bad that I've noticed this?

The next time they introduce some mystery fee for such-and-such a service, I can just tell myself it's to pay for all the friendly reminders they've been sending.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.