cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBRZMC, to close or SD, not sure what to do.

tag
tburns
Regular Contributor

BBRZMC, to close or SD, not sure what to do.

Last may I apped for the Best Buy store card. Got the BBRZMC Gold as a boobie prize. With a $300 CL and $59 Annual fee.

Since then I've been wanting to close it once it hits a year. But with having to switch job recently and getting ready to go back to school I forgot about it and the AF hit in June but auto payment took care of it. I looked at the statement and it says it hit in May 20th.

Since the AF is paid I'm not sure what to do. I really hate this card and feel it's possibly holding me back more then helping now. When I app'd I had limited credit and only 2 secured Cards and a SL. My AAoA's is now over 5 years. And when I called BBRZ about a CLI I was shot down with a EXP FICO of 744 according to my CU this week.

I just applied for Credit Care since I need some dental work done and was approved for $5500 with them. That card hasn't popped on my CR's yet so losing a $300 CL wont hurt my utilization.

Just wanted to know what would be the best thing to do. SD it for another 10 months and hope I don't forget to cancel again. Or just bite the bullet and cancel it now. It's pretty obvious I'll never get a CLI on this card. I'm not sure what to do since I already paid the AF last month but hate this card with a passion.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: BBRZMC, to close or SD, not sure what to do.

I am curious, how did you get your AAoA to 5 years in 14 months? In your post you said you got the BBRZMC last May and you had limited credit then but now you have AAoA of 5 years. Did you become an AU on someone else's card?

As to the closing of BBRZMC, it sounds like you don't really need it if you are getting these larger lines now with prime cc's on your own.

Message 2 of 12
tburns
Regular Contributor

Student Loan rehab on a 14 year old loan that was no longer on my reports was completed last September then was backdated after being transferred and split.

Message 3 of 12
lithium78
Established Contributor

Since you've already paid the AF, you might as well get an extra year out of it for your AAoA.  You don't have to use it and you can set a reminder on Google Calendar so you won't forget to cancel it next time.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
wreith
Frequent Contributor

@tburns wrote:

Last may I apped for the Best Buy store card. Got the BBRZMC Gold as a boobie prize. With a $300 CL and $59 Annual fee.

Since then I've been wanting to close it once it hits a year. But with having to switch job recently and getting ready to go back to school I forgot about it and the AF hit in June but auto payment took care of it. I looked at the statement and it says it hit in May 20th.

Since the AF is paid I'm not sure what to do. I really hate this card and feel it's possibly holding me back more then helping now. When I app'd I had limited credit and only 2 secured Cards and a SL. My AAoA's is now over 5 years. And when I called BBRZ about a CLI I was shot down with a EXP FICO of 744 according to my CU this week.

I just applied for Credit Care since I need some dental work done and was approved for $5500 with them. That card hasn't popped on my CR's yet so losing a $300 CL wont hurt my utilization.

Just wanted to know what would be the best thing to do. SD it for another 10 months and hope I don't forget to cancel again. Or just bite the bullet and cancel it now. It's pretty obvious I'll never get a CLI on this card. I'm not sure what to do since I already paid the AF last month but hate this card with a passion.

Don't know if this number still works since BBRZMC was bought buy Cap1, HSBC: 866-551-0258 (Credit Analyst), but have you called a backdoor to ask for a CLI?

01/06/2015 Walmart TU 726
01/06/2015MyFico EQ 705
01/10/2014 USAA FAKO EX 728, EQ 728, TU 728
Discover It $1700, USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $11K, USAA Rewards Platinum MC $12K, CareCredit $13.2K, Chase Freedom $5000, Walmart $4500, Lowes $9800, QVC $1200, HSN $2350, Macys Red Star Store $2900, Paypal smart connect $4022, VS Angelcard $1200, Amazon Store $2500, BCE $4K, Sam's Club Discover $8500, Home Depot $7200, FNBO AMEX $7800
Message 5 of 12
Charger_Fan19
Contributor

I've gone back 2 statements later and asked for the annual fee to be credited. If they won't do it threaten to close the account. They'll transfer you to a credit analyst who will immediately credit the annual fee. I have 3 cards with HSBC and have yet to pay an annual fee on any of them.

Starting Score: EQ 500 TU 500 EX 500
Current Score: EQ 647 TU 685 EX 684 9/2/16 Recommitted to Fico Health! Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 700
Message 6 of 12
tburns
Regular Contributor

@cowgirl79 wrote:

I've gone back 2 statements later and asked for the annual fee to be credited. If they won't do it threaten to close the account. They'll transfer you to a credit analyst who will immediately credit the annual fee. I have 3 cards with HSBC and have yet to pay an annual fee on any of them.

Kinda funny you replied to this thread today. I just posted an 'update' of sorts in the thread

BB rewardzone who do I call

But to update here with this card. Last night I called and got the fee reversed. CLI request started and told it has to be a manual review that could take a few days (doubt it will happen) as long as I keep the card open.

So I kept it open. I'll wait for my $59 to be returned and probably get a letter in the mail stated I was declined for a CLI. I just need to remember to cancel the card next May.

I'd rather have a BB store card, which I can probably get easily now. But I wont apply for it for awhile. Also don't want to have 2 open CAP 1 cards when I apply in case they count BB as one of the 2 card limit.

Message 7 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@tburns wrote:

@cowgirl79 wrote:

Kinda funny you replied to this thread today. I just posted an 'update' of sorts in the thread

BB rewardzone who do I call

But to update here with this card. Last night I called and got the fee reversed. CLI request started and told it has to be a manual review that could take a few days (doubt it will happen) as long as I keep the card open.

So I kept it open. I'll wait for my $59 to be returned and probably get a letter in the mail stated I was declined for a CLI. I just need to remember to cancel the card next May.

I'd rather have a BB store card, which I can probably get easily now. But I wont apply for it for awhile. Also don't want to have 2 open CAP 1 cards when I apply in case they count BB as one of the 2 card limit.

I'm pretty sure they don't count store cards in their limits. 
I also hate the way these cards are handled. Normally you get the visa/mastercard/discover/amex version of a card when you have a better score, but nope, with them it's "well, we're not feeling it, so have this Gold Mastercard (Really, a gold?) and pay us $60...bye" 

Message 8 of 12
remarc
Regular Contributor

What was the number u called for the credit analyst ?? Please? Bbrwz?
Message 9 of 12
tburns
Regular Contributor

@remarc wrote:
What was the number u called for the credit analyst ?? Please? Bbrwz?

I just called the number on the back of the card. 1-800-419-4959

I just said I wanted to cancel the card and they transferred me.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.