Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA NBA AmEx Redemption Issues

tag
northface28
Established Contributor

BBVA NBA AmEx Redemption Issues

I wish I could say Im surprised, but Im not. I made a purchase of over $500 to get the 10,000 bonus points ($100). I thought I would be able to use those points to pay off part of a $689 purchase I made. I cannot, you need at LEAST 68,956 points to pay it off. This is why Discover and Capital One sees 99% of my spend, redemption is easy and furthermore, its transparent.  These "all or nothing" redemptions are deal breakers for me. Im sure theres a "workaround", but thats not the point, a statement credit is a statement credit.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: BBVA NBA AmEx Redemption Issues

As frustrating as that is, I can almost guarantee that fact is in the disclosures for the card. I am always very careful about redemption options for rewards cards, as if it isn't easy to redeemd, I may not want the card.

I.e. The AMEX Costco card is a great card (that is being cancelled), but you get your whole year's cash back in Feb/Mar of the following year on 1 check. For some, that would be a deal breaker.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@cdtotten wrote:

As frustrating as that is, I can almost guarantee that fact is in the disclosures for the card. I am always very careful about redemption options for rewards cards, as if it isn't easy to redeemd, I may not want the card.

I.e. The AMEX Costco card is a great card (that is being cancelled), but you get your whole year's cash back in Feb/Mar of the following year on 1 check. For some, that would be a deal breaker.

This exactly OP.  The Rewards Program Rules & Restrictions clearly spells out the actual points redemption process/rules.  Sorry it didn't work out for ya.  Always examine before applying Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If we charged around $500 and paid it off already, can we request a check for the $100?

Message 4 of 9
northface28
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If we charged around $500 and paid it off already, can we request a check for the $100?

No. 

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@northface28 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No. 

Correct.  I believe reward points are typically issued around ~45 days from the promotional period.

Message 6 of 9
dmFICO8
Regular Contributor

Not true, after my first purchase posted, today I want to see how my purchase/points work, and found out nowhere I can check my points in my BBVA online account, then I realize I need the Rewards account to check. After I registered, clicking rewards will give you all the rewards options, including the Flexible Account Credit (redeem to transactions), which you having "issue" with, or TripleDouble Rewards Statement Credit, which redeem points directly to the account. I have tried input 1 point (1 cent), I was able to add to cart, though I didn't checkout, I think there is no minimum to redeem for account credit?

You can click Rewards and select Statement Credit from whole list, or use Rewards hover over list to navigate to Statement Credit right away.

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

Message 7 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@dmFICO8 wrote:

Not true, after my first purchase posted, today I want to see how my purchase/points work, and found out nowhere I can check my points in my BBVA online account, then I realize I need the Rewards account to check. After I registered, clicking rewards will give you all the rewards options, including the Flexible Account Credit (redeem to transactions), which you having "issue" with, or TripleDouble Rewards Statement Credit, which redeem points directly to the account. I have tried input 1 point (1 cent), I was able to add to cart, though I didn't checkout, I think there is no minimum to redeem for account credit?

You can click Rewards and select Statement Credit from whole list, or use Rewards hover over list to navigate to Statement Credit right away.

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

Nicely done!

Message 8 of 9
northface28
Established Contributor

Wow, thanks for this, I was wrong.

BK Discharged 9/11

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.