cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCE, BOA, or Chase Freedom. Time for new advice for me!

tag
Bluedog23
Regular Contributor

Re: BCE, BOA, or Chase Freedom. Time for new advice for me!

Thanks so much for the replies. I apped and was approved for BCE with the cc.com sign up bonus. 3500 CL. Satisfied with that. Hoping to find out today from credit monitoring who they pulled. crossing my fingers that it was just one pull.
EX 805 FICO, EQ Fico 762; TU. 768Discover)
Message 11 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

Re: BCE, BOA, or Chase Freedom. Time for new advice for me!

@flyingpenguin wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Those are all fine cards. Of those, the BofA card will probably give you the highest credit limit - BofA is the most generous when it comes to credit limits and credit limit increases. You'll rarely hear about 5x and 10x CLI's on here that aren't from Bank of America. If it is a high credit limit that you are shooting for, BofA is the best, followed by American Express, and falling far behind is Chase. In terms of approval chances, BofA beats the other two hands down, unless you have burned them in the past.

If it is rewards that you're going after, BofA is a little weaker than the BCE if you don't drive much. The Freedom is a hit or miss on their bonus categories.

I was one of those 5x CLI's. Smiley Happy $1.7k to $10k recently. But I think in all of those cases, the starting credit line was very low to begin with, like <$2000. Mine was a special case because all my other credit lines were way higher ($5.5k, $11k, $12.1k). Also, I had that $1.7k limit since 2008... Plus it was a hard pull. I had requested it online, checked for 3 days, still nothing, so finally called in, and got it after talking to a credit analyst. I haven't heard about BofA giving high starting credit limits (though I could be wrong). 

(This isn't to bash BofA - I bank with them and am pretty happy with them in general. I don't think they are highly sought after as a CC company the way others like AMEX are though.)

Some people started with relatively low limits because the BofA card was one of their first cards, which is supporting evidence that BofA has pretty lax underwriting standards. If you have the time feel free to browse this forum for BofA CL or CLI threads. Most of them are about people getting a BofA early in their building process, starting with a high credit limit, or getting approved for a very high credit limit increase. Bank of America is the most underrated credit card issuer on this board, IMO. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.