Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCE DECLINE! Have a few questions...

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

BCE DECLINE! Have a few questions...

Sooo, I got the itch dammit! lol I kept seeing other people with similar profiles as myself that had gotten approved for the BCE. So I said, 'ya know what, why not...its only gonna be a SP anyways". Welp....it ended up getting declined! Smiley Sad

I had a few questions though. I typed in the search engine, "Credit application decline". And this is the first topic that had popped up...

You declined my Card application. Will this affect my credit score and report?

We do not report declining an application to the credit bureaus, though your request for a Card will show up on yourcredit bureau reports as request for credit, also known as an "inquiry." If you have questions about your creditbureau scores, you should contact the credit bureaus directly

Any feedback on this??? I really HOPE that this was a soft pull and not a hard pull!

Also, I have the AMEX GOLD. I don't really put a whole lot of usage on the card because of the fact that I normally use my CSP for everything else. Do you guys think that because I don't put a whole lot onto the card, that that could be the reason why I got declined?

current FICO SCORES:

EX: 704

EQ: 716

TU: 723

EDIT: I know that I probably got declined for other reasons, and not just because I don't use my Amex Gold all that often. Here's more info:

18% UTL

AAoA: 2 years

EX: 11 inq's

EQ: 3 inq's

TU: 0 inq's

I KNOW, I KNOW!! I should've waited...I just couldn't help myself though lol. The itch was getting bad Smiley Sad Back to the garden I go I guess....

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: BCE DECLINE! Have a few questions...

Sorry for the decline. Best just to wait and see.

Back to the garden for now.
Message 2 of 34
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Sorry for the decline. Best just to wait and see.

Back to the garden for now.

I know...ugh! I want the BCE so bad! I guess I have no choice...

but do you know why amex would have that information on their site??? As far as I know, its a SP if you already have an amex with them....but reading that on their site just made me confused now.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 3 of 34
enharu
Super Contributor

Call and find out the reason why you got declined.

Usage does help your approval odds, but only to a limited extent. A big part of approval odds is still dependent upon your income and credit report.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 34
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Call and find out the reason why you got declined.

Usage does help your approval odds, but only to a limited extent. A big part of approval odds is still dependent upon your income and credit report.

I mean, as far as income, I wouldn't see why that would be a problem if i've been able to get approved for my current cards! And have "semi decent" limits on most of them. Credit report? Yea...I can see that part....Gosh, I applied 3 months ago and got denied...I just don't understand why they won't approve me already!!

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 5 of 34
enharu
Super Contributor

Are your other accounts relatively new?

How old are your inquiries?

If the accounts are relatively new, that 18% utilization made your odds a lot worse.

Anyhow, it's just a SP anyways so just go easy on it for the next 3-6 months and let your account age. Do call and find out why you got declined though so at least you know what you need to work on to get approved the next time round.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 34
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

If the accounts are relatively new, that 18% utilization made your odds a lot worse.

Anyhow, it's just a SP anyways so just go easy on it for the next 3-6 months and let your account age. Do call and find out why you got declined though so at least you know what you need to work on to get approved the next time round.

ehhh, yea. They're 3 months old. Which is why I said I can see from my CR why I would get denied. But the only reason why I apped was because I saw others that had similar profiles, and they got approved, so I just said, wth...Might as well try.

Now, I copied and paste the topic that I got from the amex website about it showing as an inquiry...How true is this Enharu? I always heard it was a SP....but that info that I found from their site is saying otherwise.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 7 of 34
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

I think the denial reason is too many inquires. Usually Amex pulls EX, but I recommend you let those inquires aged for at least 6 months. Also, I don't think your income is the problem because I got approved and I barely make 10k a year as a fulltime student.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 8 of 34
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@CredittotheMax wrote:

I think the denial reason is too many inquires. Usually Amex pulls EX, but I recommend you let those inquires aged for at least 6 months. Also, I don't think your income is the problem because I got approved and I barely make 10k a year as a fulltime student.

I'm starting to think that its the inq's too...But I did just get a car in May, so three of those inq's are all from rate shopping...which I thought wouldn't have that much of effect on you because its for an auto loan.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 9 of 34
enharu
Super Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

ehhh, yea. They're 3 months old. Which is why I said I can see from my CR why I would get denied. But the only reason why I apped was because I saw others that had similar profiles, and they got approved, so I just said, wth...Might as well try.

Now, I copied and paste the topic that I got from the amex website about it showing as an inquiry...How true is this Enharu? I always heard it was a SP....but that info that I found from their site is saying otherwise.

Anyhow no damage done so don't worry about it. In a way this can help you be better prepared for the next app.

That website might be not up to date, or maybe in certain circumstances they do indeed pull a HP. Some people on the forums have complained about getting 1-3 HPs for a denial despite being a current American Express customer. Best way to find out is to check your reports over the next few days. Most of the time it's SP if declined for current customers. They could also have phrased it that way to deter people from applying every 30 days just because they can. My guess is that the way they phrase it is to make it clear that they can do a hard inquiry if they want to, just that they usually don't.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.