Super Contributor

BCE "Invisible" CLI

A month or two ago, my daughter (19) got a BCE with a $1K CL.  Soon after she got it, I remembered that she had been an AU on my card since the previous year, so she asked Amex to update and she got  a 2012 card.   She hasn't used it at all.  But today when she logged on to check something else, we see the CL is now $8K.   She didn't get any notification about this so it was surprising.   She didn't keep the carrier the replacement card came in, I guess it could have been updated there.   But I assume backdating by a few months doesn't normally cause a CLI.

So new rule:  Don't use your card at all and Amex will give you an 8x CLI after a month (or less!)

Frequent Contributor

Re: BCE "Invisible" CLI

Wow. Lucky her!
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

longtimelurker wrote:

A month or two ago, my daughter (19) got a BCE with a $1K CL.  Soon after she got it, I remembered that she had been an AU on my card since the previous year, so she asked Amex to update and she got  a 2012 card.   She hasn't used it at all.  But today when she logged on to check something else, we see the CL is now $8K.   She didn't get any notification about this so it was surprising.   She didn't keep the carrier the replacement card came in, I guess it could have been updated there.   But I assume backdating by a few months doesn't normally cause a CLI.

So new rule:  Don't use your card at all and Amex will give you an 8x CLI after a month (or less!)

Now you tell me Lol

Congrats to DD

+ Chase ink =

Established Contributor

longtimelurker wrote:

are you kidding me??!! A 19 yr old has an 8k CL!! LOL haha. Woah! HUGE congrats to her! I'm 23 and I don't even have a limit of 8k! :smileysad:

You've taught your daughter well :smileywink: lol

CL-5kNPSLCL-3.6kCL-4kCL-7.5kCL-7kCL 7.9kCL-4.2k
GARDENING SINCE 07/13/13
Valued Contributor

Wow! Congrats to your dd! Nice cl!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---

Valued Contributor

Very nice increase.  Congrats to your DD!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor

So before I saw this, I had told her to apply for the 3x CLI after 61 days.  Guess now we will wait, as even though she didn't ask for a CLI, whenever she got it might restart the clock.

She might even use the card from time to time, although for most of purchases Cap One and Citi give more rewards.

Frequent Contributor

Way to go simply awesome:smileyhappy:

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.