Super Contributor
longtimelurker

BCE "Invisible" CLI

A month or two ago, my daughter (19) got a BCE with a $1K CL.  Soon after she got it, I remembered that she had been an AU on my card since the previous year, so she asked Amex to update and she got  a 2012 card.   She hasn't used it at all.  But today when she logged on to check something else, we see the CL is now $8K.   She didn't get any notification about this so it was surprising.   She didn't keep the carrier the replacement card came in, I guess it could have been updated there.   But I assume backdating by a few months doesn't normally cause a CLI.

So new rule:  Don't use your card at all and Amex will give you an 8x CLI after a month (or less!)

Most active cards: Amex BC ($50K), Cap One QS ($33K) Fidelity Amex ($20K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS, Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi TY Preferred, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 841 (Jul)
Frequent Contributor
GaTech

Re: BCE "Invisible" CLI

Wow. Lucky her!
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

longtimelurker wrote:

A month or two ago, my daughter (19) got a BCE with a $1K CL.  Soon after she got it, I remembered that she had been an AU on my card since the previous year, so she asked Amex to update and she got  a 2012 card.   She hasn't used it at all.  But today when she logged on to check something else, we see the CL is now $8K.   She didn't get any notification about this so it was surprising.   She didn't keep the carrier the replacement card came in, I guess it could have been updated there.   But I assume backdating by a few months doesn't normally cause a CLI.

So new rule:  Don't use your card at all and Amex will give you an 8x CLI after a month (or less!)

Now you tell me Lol

Congrats to DD

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Cap1 EO link below
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Capital+One+CEO+email+address+#seen
Last 5 apps 6/6/13
Established Contributor
zeusta20

longtimelurker wrote:

are you kidding me??!! A 19 yr old has an 8k CL!! LOL haha. Woah! HUGE congrats to her! I'm 23 and I don't even have a limit of 8k! :smileysad:

You've taught your daughter well :smileywink: lol

CL-5kNPSLCL-3.6kCL-4kCL-7.5kCL-7kCL 7.9kCL-4.2k
GARDENING SINCE 07/13/13
Valued Contributor
djc1puno

Wow! Congrats to your dd! Nice cl!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
09Lexie

Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

Very nice increase.  Congrats to your DD!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

So before I saw this, I had told her to apply for the 3x CLI after 61 days.  Guess now we will wait, as even though she didn't ask for a CLI, whenever she got it might restart the clock.

She might even use the card from time to time, although for most of purchases Cap One and Citi give more rewards.

Most active cards: Amex BC ($50K), Cap One QS ($33K) Fidelity Amex ($20K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS, Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi TY Preferred, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 841 (Jul)
Frequent Contributor
wallyworld123

Way to go simply awesome:smileyhappy:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+