cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP: 2 cents rounded off of each category, each month?

tag
dkak2811

BCP: 2 cents rounded off of each category, each month?

Hi everyone,

I recently looked more closely at the breakdown of the cash back rewards on my Amex BCP statement. When I multplied the "Qualified Spend" column for each category by the 6%, 3%, or 1% rewards rate, I noticed a small difference between what I expected and the amount of reward dollars awarded to me. In fact, They seem to award 2 cents less than I expected on each category. I checked some previous statements and found the same thing.

Now, this adds up to less than $1 per year, so I realize it's small potatoes... But still, I already pay an annual fee! Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers

EX FICO: 793 (PSECU 8/2015) | TU FICO: 788 (Discover 8/2015) | EQ FICO: 790 (Citi 7/2015)

Chase Freedom (7/2007) $2.1k | Local CU Visa (8/2009) $2.5k | Discover It (3/2011) $7.3k | AMEX BCP (8/2012) $15k | Fidelity Amex (6/2013) $5k | Citi Forward Student (8/2013) $8k | Citi Thank You Preferred (11/2013) $9k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: BCP: 2 cents rounded off of each category, each month?

Still waiting for my first BCP rewards to post, so I can't say for certain.

But I can theorize...it's possible that they calculate and round the cashback on a per-transaction basis, in which case you might see a few cents of difference from calculating it on your total spending in that category.  I didn't see anything in the T&C for the card that specified which way they calculate the rewards, so they are probably free to do it either way.

Over the long term, though, it should all even out.  In a lot of foreign countries they now round the pennies column of any purchase off.  You lose a few pennies here, gain a few pennies there, but the net effect approaches zero over time.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 2 of 4
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah, conductor, that is what they do.

You could prob find which transactions cause the discrepancy on that reward per transaction review thing...
It's one of those features that is difficult to find on the Amex BCE reward site lol!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 4
vagrants
Regular Contributor

I am not sure about 2 cents less for each category, but on the last statement, BCP gave exact reward amount with SUM(FLOOR((sum of 6% category spent)*6%,0.01),FLOOR((sum of 3% category spent)*3%,0.01),FLOOR((sum of 1% category spent)*1%,0.01))on Excel. And, on the "Reward Dollar Summary" on the statement, it doesn't seem like AMEX generates reward dollar on per transaction basis (lines up with Excel calculation). But on my BC, since May 1st, when the new terms kicked in, their rewards started to get screwy a little. It use to give exact reward amount with SUM(FLOOR((sum of 5% category spent)*5%,0.01)....), but that's no longer true. And, I've observed 1 cent less here and 2 cent less here and $1 more here on my BC for the last statement due to some recategorization of some merchants.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.