Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP $6000 limit

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BCP $6000 limit

After a recent conversation with a friend of mine who claimed she spends 3-400/wk on groceries (3 teenagers, and coaches a U19 soccer team, and serves as the local gathering place for many her sons' friends hangout) I started realizing that 6% cashback on that *dwarfed* the Amex AF, so I'm not totally surprised that they cut it back.  

I vaguely remember my parents with between them, myself, and my slightly younger sister used to have 100-120/week on groceries, but how times have changed I guess.  6% of cal it 15K at the base of my friend's estimate, 900 bucks vs. what 75 AF?  Since virtually everyone I know makes at most two trips weekly to the grocery store (with many doing once a week) a total of 100 transactions I can't see covering the difference.  

Almost certainly Amex was losing too much money on the card I expect compared as people who can qualify for a BCP likely have other rewards cards to cover other segments of their spend without hitting the default category on whatever card they're using as their default.  FWIW I'm glad they simply capped it rather than airstriking the product altogether.

        
Message 11 of 17
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

I hope they come up with a spending meter to know when the CAP is hit so I'll stop using it.

Message 12 of 17
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Just found out as well from my billing statement. Sad!

This is so cheap, I didn't expect it from Amex...

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 13 of 17
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

is this cap for the year or the month? (if its year that blows)

no offense but i couldnt spend 6k on groceries and gas in a month.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 14 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

is this cap for the year or the month? (if its year that blows)

no offense but i couldnt spend 6k on groceries and gas in a month.

It's per year, and it's not surprising. At 6% on groceries, they are clearly losing money on that end of things. There's no way they could make 6% off interchange fees.

The reason why they were able to offer 6% on groceries previously is because groceries is a self-limiting expense. There is only so much you can buy (and eat) in a given month. The same is true with gas in that there's only so much you can realistically drive in a month. Unless you have a business (in which case those expenses would be foreced to go into a business card) Amex knew there was a natural limit to the losses they'd take on BCP groceries. They'd then make up the difference in other ways such as other cards, annual fees, etc. This is in contrast to other areas like dining and travel, where spending can theoretically be unlimited.

With more people buying non-grocery items at grocery stores (like gift cards), they were circumventing this self-limiting structure that Amex had envisioned. Instead of taking a loss on only groceries, now they were taking that same loss on other spending categories such as department stores. The new $6,000 cap is designed to combat this.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 17
JonStur
Established Contributor

Was hoping the BCE would escape the $6,000 but I guess not...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 16 of 17
lanc
Regular Contributor

You could look at your statements and be able to add up your grocery spend in less than 10 minutes since they say monthly how much you spend on groceries.  A meter would be great but you'd only have to look through a max of 11 statements to figure out the number.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.