Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP AF

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

BCP AF

Hi, looking for info on Amex policies.  I have a BCP, with another AF due in Feb, and I want to downgrade (because of my new shiny Blue Cash) to BCE.  I assume I can do this once the AF hits and get the AF refunded, but wanted to check.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
brianjb
Contributor

Re: BCP AF

@longtimelurker wrote:

Hi, looking for info on Amex policies.  I have a BCP, with another AF due in Feb, and I want to downgrade (because of my new shiny Blue Cash) to BCE.  I assume I can do this once the AF hits and get the AF refunded, but wanted to check.

I think you can do a PC after 13 months.  Id call them.  They will let you know in two minutes.  They may be able to change it now.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 2 of 13
k-s
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

You can also use the online chat feature to do a PC.

EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 3 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@k-s wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, sorry, should have explained.  I want to use this card for as long as possible without having to pay another AF.  So I don't want to PC now (they offered that when I called about the Blue Cash).   Not really all that important, since my current card is 5% and this is 6%, but hey, someone has to maximize rewards!

Message 4 of 13
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@k-s wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, sorry, should have explained.  I want to use this card for as long as possible without having to pay another AF.  So I don't want to PC now (they offered that when I called about the Blue Cash).   Not really all that important, since my current card is 5% and this is 6%, but hey, someone has to maximize rewards!

You can PC from any annual fee card to a $0 annual fee card. PC right before you have to pay the annual fee. Which isn't that high for a 6% cash back card. 

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@k-s wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

You can PC from any annual fee card to a $0 annual fee card. PC right before you have to pay the annual fee. Which isn't that high for a 6% cash back card. 

My question is the meaning of the bolded bit.  The fee will appear on my Feb statement, so I guess the question is: Once the fee appears, can I PC then and not pay the fee?

The $75 isn't high for a 6% cash back card, but enough to make the worth negative compared to the 5% cards (because of the cap)

Message 6 of 13
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@k-s wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

My question is the meaning of the bolded bit.  The fee will appear on my Feb statement, so I guess the question is: Once the fee appears, can I PC then and not pay the fee?

The $75 isn't high for a 6% cash back card, but enough to make the worth negative compared to the 5% cards (because of the cap)

None of the 5% cash back cards let you spend more than $1500 in that category.

Therefore the $6000 cap with BCP is superior to Discover IT, Chase, US Bank Cash+, ect. 

Cancel your card before February statement cuts. 

Message 7 of 13
brianjb
Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@k-s wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Therefore the $6000 cap with BCP is superior to Discover IT, Chase, US Bank Cash+, ect. 

I agree! Cancel your card now.  Why risk the AF for 1% for another month?

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@k-s wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

But inferior to the uncapped cards 5x TYP which is what I have, and the Blue Cash, which is what I am getting.

Message 9 of 13
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@k-s wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

But inferior to the uncapped cards 5x TYP which is what I have, and the Blue Cash, which is what I am getting.

TY points aren't that valuable as cash back.

and the old Blue Cash card will NEVER yield 5% since you have to spend at least $6,500 in the special categories (yielding only 1% or .5%).

therefore the BCP is still a superior card. For the thrift spenders and the heavy ones. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.