cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP - cash back (normal spending in 10 months)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: BCP - cash back (normal spending in 10 months)

@drkaje wrote:

Love the BCP!

Cash back from Chase Freedom is easily redeemed but it doesn't grow like Amex.

Sorry, I don't buy into the love for the BCP!  (It used to be great though!).   Freedom maxes out at $300 a year in the > 1%, but these are UR so with another card become more valuable, and anyway has no fee.   BCP groceries max out at $360 per year, with a $75 fee, and no transfer to airlines/hotels.  So yes, if you buy a lot of gas, it can add up, but if you buy a lot of gas there are better cards, such as Penfed Cash Rewards (now with caveats), Fort Knox, and for smaller amounts, Sallie Mae.

Not to knock it, I have it for the extra bit it provides on groceries, but it is not exactly a huge cash generator

Message 11 of 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Love the BCP!

Cash back from Chase Freedom is easily redeemed but it doesn't grow like Amex.

Sorry, I don't buy into the love for the BCP!  (It used to be great though!).   Freedom maxes out at $300 a year in the > 1%, but these are UR so with another card become more valuable, and anyway has no fee.   BCP groceries max out at $360 per year, with a $75 fee, and no transfer to airlines/hotels.  So yes, if you buy a lot of gas, it can add up, but if you buy a lot of gas there are better cards, such as Penfed Cash Rewards (now with caveats), Fort Knox, and for smaller amounts, Sallie Mae.

Not to knock it, I have it for the extra bit it provides on groceries, but it is not exactly a huge cash generator

Things like CS, backdating, and CLIs will pretty much always have other companies trying to play catch-up with Amex. The AF pretty much pays for itself, no rotating catagores, no signing up for available offers.

Amex is offering $5 cash back with $30 purchase at Exxon or $5 cash back with $40 from Chevron on top of the 3%.

PenFed has good products and they did get some HPs from me a few years ago. I actually made a resolution that they weren't getting another HP (2+ years ago) and stuck with it, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

OK, maybe I misunderstood your "Cash back from Chase Freedom is easily redeemed but it doesn't grow like Amex."   I don't think the CASH grows particularly well, but for some the CL does.   The special $5 offers are nice (I have done 4 BP in the last two weeks) but again that isn't large amounts of money.

Message 13 of 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

OK, maybe I misunderstood your "Cash back from Chase Freedom is easily redeemed but it doesn't grow like Amex."   I don't think the CASH grows particularly well, but for some the CL does.   The special $5 offers are nice (I have done 4 BP in the last two weeks) but again that isn't large amounts of money.

Chase is fond of needing an HP for CLI.

Jake isn't really a fan of that policy, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 14 of 17
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Chase gave me a Freedom with 1.5k CL
Amex 8.4k Initial CL on BCP

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 15 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
Chase gave me a Freedom with 1.5k CL
Amex 8.4k Initial CL on BCP

And of course there are plenty of people the other way round (and then people say "Don't worry, the Amex will grow quickly")

Message 16 of 17
cyclesport45
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@cyclesport45 wrote:

I just got the BCP.  I know what I spend on groceries, and gas, and I'm guessing I'll get back over $500 per year.  It was the card I'd been wanting for my everyday purchases.  I give it two thumbs up!

The problem is that  groceries is capped at $360 a year cash back

Yes, and I only plan on getting about $300 from groceries.  But then there's gas, department store (my wife's Macys addiction), and random 1% charges.  Hence, no problem here.

Chase Freedom(5.3K), Citi Double Cash (8.8K). Citi Thank You Preferred(10.2K) DCU Platinum Rewards(10K), REI Visa(9.6K) Amex Blue Sky(5K), Amex Blue Cash Preferred (20K), Crate & Barrel (3.5K) Discover IT(16.5K) CSP (28K)
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.