Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP chances with baddie?

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

BCP chances with baddie?

I know that Amex revolvers have stricter underwriting requirements than their charge cards. DH is going to go for the BCP and I'm just trying to gauge his chances. His EQ fico is at 705. Hoping it'll go up a few more points once one of his other TLs report a zero balance. The only thing that gives me pause is a 120 day late he has from 6 years ago for his gecrb banana card. It was paid in full and closed. It's the only baddie he has. I know chase and other banks don't seem to mind old lates but I wasn't sure about how Amex looks at old baddies.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: BCP chances with baddie?

Since its 6 years old I think he should be fine. It's about to fall off soon anyways I doubt they will care
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@parakleet wrote:
I know that Amex revolvers have stricter underwriting requirements than their charge cards. DH is going to go for the BCP and I'm just trying to gauge his chances. His EQ fico is at 705. Hoping it'll go up a few more points once one of his other TLs report a zero balance. The only thing that gives me pause is a 120 day late he has from 6 years ago for his gecrb banana card. It was paid in full and closed. It's the only baddie he has. I know chase and other banks don't seem to mind old lates but I wasn't sure about how Amex looks at old baddies.

Take the safe route app charge if approved BCP even tho I don't think the late will have much bearing. If you get both cancel charge in 11 months 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 16
romey050500
New Contributor

I got approved for the BCP about 3 weeks ago, and I had a 90 day late on my report from 2010. My credit score was 727 at the time.

NFCU Flagship Visa 25k - Pentagon FCU Platinum Visa Signature 20k - USAA World MasterCard 10k - USAA American Express 10k - BoA 3, 2, 1 Card 10k - Southwest RR 8.5k - CSP 5k - Chase Freedom 2k - Discover It 2k - Barclay's Arrival 2.5k - NFCU Cash Rewards 2k - Military Star 5.8k - American Express BCP 2k - American Express PRG NPSL
Message 4 of 16
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@myjourney hmmmm I hadn't thought of that! Would that be just one HP? Would getting approved for a charge help his chances for the BCP?

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 5 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@parakleet wrote:
@myjourney hmmmm I hadn't thought of that! Would that be just one HP? Would getting approved for a charge help his chances for the BCP?

It was for me YMMV (DH) but most of the time yes one HP

Edit I wanted to make sure I got my foot in door can't say if it helped ..sorry

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 16
RSCo
Established Contributor

should be fine.. apply away...

I've received 3 Amex cards since Feb.. 2 revolvers and 1 charge. At the time, I had a foreclosure on record from 2006 - since fallen off, AND I have an unpaid judgment from 2007 still on my report.. No other issues tho..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 7 of 16
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I got BCP in March 2013 with a bunch of lates on my CR during 2009...a bad year!

I was instantly approved with CL of $8.5k. I first got the Green in April 2012 though. My CS at the time of BCP app was 699.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 8 of 16
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
I got BCP in March 2013 with a bunch of lates on my CR during 2009...a bad year!

I was instantly approved with CL of $8.5k. I first got the Green in April 2012 though. My CS at the time of BCP app was 699.

Ooh, thanks for all of the data points guys! This makes me want to go for it now! But I should probably wait until one more account posts the zero balance. But I. want. it. now! Lol. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 9 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

@frugalQ wrote:

Ooh, thanks for all of the data points guys! This makes me want to go for it now! But I should probably wait until one more account posts the zero balance. But I. want. it. now! Lol. 

All eyes on you 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.