Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP or SPG

tag
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

BCP or SPG

I cant decide. I want an amex credit card so they can backdate it. BCP seems good for the gas and groceries but im unsure which to get. I know I could get both but 

I dont want tons of credit cards. I think I have too many as it is. Should never have gotten the citi card. I mainly only want to deal with chase and amex for the points. Discover IT was for a balance transfer but i paid it off so fast i dont think it was worth it. It would be dumb to cancel the citi card even though i got it a week ago lol

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: BCP or SPG

Message 2 of 10
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

currently no but will plan on in the future

Message 3 of 10
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@darkfrosty wrote:

currently no but will plan on in the future

You already have Amex Plat and the CSP for travel.

I would go for BCP.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

If u don't travel, don't get the spg. Go with bcp
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
If u don't travel, don't get the spg. Go with bcp

If you want your rewards to be redeemed for travel, Starpoints offer a good value.

If you want your rewards to be redeemed for cash, then the BCP would be the way to go. 

Credit card choice depends on your prefences and how you will use the card, there is no right or wrong answer... its all personalized!

Hope this helps!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Webhopper is correct the choice is personal. IMO, you already have a nice Chase combo for travel and you probably will get more 'everyday' use out of the BCP. Assuming the rotating categories for Freedom and Discover are not available.
Message 7 of 10
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

well i only have an amex charge card and would like a credit card with them. Plus backdating to 99 helps as well.

With all the different reward systems .. MR .. UR .. cash back .. or travel .. its hard to choose. 

Message 8 of 10
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@darkfrosty wrote:

well i only have an amex charge card and would like a credit card with them. Plus backdating to 99 helps as well.

With all the different reward systems .. MR .. UR .. cash back .. or travel .. its hard to choose. 

As a general rule, I would say that if you want travel rewards, you choose a program, and use those programs cards for most things (so Freedom/CSP/Ink etc).   The programs that make most sense are the MR and UR ones (which is why I use Citi!).  

If cashback is the goal, there is much less need to be program specific, look at your spending and choose a card or cards that give the best rewards for those things and those with large sign-up bonuses  This might include the cashback "travel" cards such as Barclays Arrival or Cap One Venture as well.

Message 9 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I prefer PRG because you get 2X MR points on gas and groceries, and travel booked on Amex Travel and 3X on airfare.

Makes it good for both everyday spending and travel spending

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.