Frequent Contributor
darkfrosty

BCP or SPG

I cant decide. I want an amex credit card so they can backdate it. BCP seems good for the gas and groceries but im unsure which to get. I know I could get both but 

I dont want tons of credit cards. I think I have too many as it is. Should never have gotten the citi card. I mainly only want to deal with chase and amex for the points. Discover IT was for a balance transfer but i paid it off so fast i dont think it was worth it. It would be dumb to cancel the citi card even though i got it a week ago lol

09Lexie

Re: BCP or SPG

Frequent Contributor
darkfrosty

currently no but will plan on in the future

Valued Contributor
armbenderc

darkfrosty wrote:

currently no but will plan on in the future

You already have Amex Plat and the CSP for travel.

I would go for BCP.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Super Contributor
enharu

If u don't travel, don't get the spg. Go with bcp
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

enharu wrote:
If u don't travel, don't get the spg. Go with bcp

If you want your rewards to be redeemed for travel, Starpoints offer a good value.

If you want your rewards to be redeemed for cash, then the BCP would be the way to go. 

Credit card choice depends on your prefences and how you will use the card, there is no right or wrong answer... its all personalized!

Hope this helps!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
09Lexie

Webhopper is correct the choice is personal. IMO, you already have a nice Chase combo for travel and you probably will get more 'everyday' use out of the BCP. Assuming the rotating categories for Freedom and Discover are not available.
Frequent Contributor
darkfrosty

well i only have an amex charge card and would like a credit card with them. Plus backdating to 99 helps as well.

With all the different reward systems .. MR .. UR .. cash back .. or travel .. its hard to choose. 

Valued Contributor
bs6054

darkfrosty wrote:

well i only have an amex charge card and would like a credit card with them. Plus backdating to 99 helps as well.

With all the different reward systems .. MR .. UR .. cash back .. or travel .. its hard to choose. 

As a general rule, I would say that if you want travel rewards, you choose a program, and use those programs cards for most things (so Freedom/CSP/Ink etc).   The programs that make most sense are the MR and UR ones (which is why I use Citi!).  

If cashback is the goal, there is much less need to be program specific, look at your spending and choose a card or cards that give the best rewards for those things and those with large sign-up bonuses  This might include the cashback "travel" cards such as Barclays Arrival or Cap One Venture as well.

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

[ Edited ]

I prefer PRG because you get 2X MR points on gas and groceries, and travel booked on Amex Travel and 3X on airfare.

Makes it good for both everyday spending and travel spending

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}