Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP to BCE

tag
afjock21
Valued Member

BCP to BCE

i dont use as much of the bcp as i thought i would to accept the annual fee which is due shortly my bill is due in a week so they will try to slap on 75 bucks .. How bad is it to try and get this change from BCP to BCE i dont wanna pay 75 and wont try crawling back to BCP so i just want to downgrade easiest way possible without 21 questions from them. thanks all ..... couldnt find anything i did a brief search

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
afjock21
Valued Member

Re: BCP to BCE

by 21 questions i mean just rather not have amex do any searching around i just want simple no hassle downgrade hah everything else the same no hard pulls soft pulls, anything.

Message 2 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

i believe they will allow you to downgrade it from AF to no AF...but it has to be about a year after opening the card...i would contact amex and ask them what your options are Smiley Happy gl...i'm sure they will work with you

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 9
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I think I'm going to go into the same boat. I don't use my BCP as much because I don't shop for groceries as much as I thought I would, my family purchases groceries more often then me. So I will contact AMEX about down grading to the BCE. Please share if anyone has any first hand experience with this.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 4 of 9
Beane
Regular Contributor

@Meltdownblitz wrote:

I think I'm going to go into the same boat. I don't use my BCP as much because I don't shop for groceries as much as I thought I would, my family purchases groceries more often then me. So I will contact AMEX about down grading to the BCE. Please share if anyone has any first hand experience with this.

Why not get whoever usually buys the groceries an AU card so you can maximize your grocery savings?  That's what I did with my wife.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 5 of 9
afjock21
Valued Member

thanks djc1uno.

meltdownblitz agreed. thought i was gonna rack up the rewards, but realized i dont buy much groceries as originally thought hah. will report back with what happened ill call em in the next few days. ive had the BCP a year and in the last statement there was a notice about the 75 bucks on my next statement unless i call or whatever. thanks all.

Message 6 of 9
afjock21
Valued Member

forgot to add this, but called up the number on my card and basicalyy was VERY EASY to tell the woman i'd like to "switch product change" to express instead of my preferred bc it's not as suitable as originally thought to my spending habits... Very easy very helpful and polite. 5/5 rating hah .... oh and i racked up 6-3-1 benefits for a whole year and did not pay 75 bucks AF. so. HAD that going for me. now just meager ol' 3-2-1 cashback ho-hum.........

Message 7 of 9
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@afjock21 wrote:

forgot to add this, but called up the number on my card and basicalyy was VERY EASY to tell the woman i'd like to "switch product change" to express instead of my preferred bc it's not as suitable as originally thought to my spending habits... Very easy very helpful and polite. 5/5 rating hah .... oh and i racked up 6-3-1 benefits for a whole year and did not pay 75 bucks AF. so. HAD that going for me. now just meager ol' 3-2-1 cashback ho-hum.........

Right on afj. Im was thinking about adding a BCP, but I am rethinking this move. On a side note, the "E" stands for everyday, not express.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Unless you spend $6K or more on "real" groceries each year, the way to maximize BCP is to look for gift cards to other retailers at your supermarket.   Big ones here have a huge range, and it would be easy for me to spend $6K on these cards to places I use (I don't, since my real grocery spend is much much more than $6K so I use the BCP only for that).  As retail gift cards are usually free of mark-up, this is the way to get 6% on all those purchases.

That's why many of us have said that BCP is "nearly always" the better option over BCE, unless you spend less than $2500 overall,  or don't have access to useful gift cards

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.