cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST BUY REWARD ZONE MASTERCARD - IS PLATINUM BETTER?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BEST BUY REWARD ZONE MASTERCARD - IS PLATINUM BETTER?

My DH applied for this card online and got the following message:

Congratulations!

Based on the information you have provided, your application has been approved. Your full Best Buy Reward Zone® Platinum MasterCard® and account details will be mailed to you within 7 to 14 days.

Is there any significant difference between the gold and platinum versions?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
mt2va
Established Contributor

Re: BEST BUY REWARD ZONE MASTERCARD - IS PLATINUM BETTER?

I'm pretty sure the platinum version has no annual fee & lower interest rate than the gold version. 
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 2 of 15
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

I had the gold and there was no fee. The only difference I know is one is gold and one is platinum, other than that they both stink, in fact anyting from HSBC pretty stinks.

Congratulations,( I am just messy with you.  I really am not congratulating him on this product) I wish much better for you and your husband.

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 3 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hey, for someone building or rebuilding their credit, this is a good start. I'm guessing that the plat has a better APR, although this should be irrelevant, because no one should be carrying balances these days. (aka, credit suicide)

Congrats! Have you and your DH been around the forums long enough to know how to make CC's work for you, instead of vice versa? Use the card, pay it off, lather, rinse, and repeat. It probably won't turn into a wonder card with time, but it will help him get a good string of credit history going.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card came in Friday.  No annual fee.  15.24% APR.  $1500 limit.
Message 5 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats, that's not bad at all! Especially in this day and age. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 15
mt2va
Established Contributor

My gold has a fee Smiley Sad  Anyone know if I will have any luck getting it waived next year??  How are they with CLI?  I was just a little bit short on buying my new computer so apped for it in the store.  I have another store card back by HSBC (with perfect payment history) & no AF. 
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 7 of 15
-RED
Regular Contributor

You got the floor rate available when opening your account. Congrats accordingly. I just opened mine, and it was 20%, so you should be please w/out question. They are hard asses, and are not easy to deal, so just keep the balance paid off, so they make very little, and then they will do more for you, then they will if you were to carry a balance.
-800 or Bust...!
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

To open up an old post.......

Let me start off by saying I read another post earlier about the Rewardzone Mastercard preapproval site. Although I already have the card, I was anxious what they would offer me. So I filled the app out and I was preapproved for the Platinum card.

My question is I already have the Gold version, since I was preapproved for a Platinum, is there any way I can call HSBC and "upgrade" from my Gold to a Platinum?

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not personally tried this. There was another post about the same thing. The member had the gold and wanted the platinum. They called and tried to upgrade and were told it isnt possible. If you want the platinum you fill out a new app and go that route. The member did and were approved for the platinum. So they had a gold and a platinum. You cant do the upgrade so I would get the platinum and if your gold has an AF call and try to get it waived and if they waive it leave it open and use it occasionally if not then close it and if you have the gold with no AF then leave it open and use occasionally to save the age and history.

Just for additional info here are the tiers for the cards:

Platinum - Lowest APR and Highest Credit Limits (I have seen $6000)

Gold- No AF, higher APR, mediocre limits

Gold- Annual Fee, highest APR, lower limits

Secured- AF, High APR, Limit determined by you

So Platinum is the best all around and there are two gold versions if your gold has no AF you have the better if it has an AF you have the lower one. I unfortunately have the gold w/AF but have had no problems with the card or HSBC. This is my second card with them and I have found the customer service to be decent and the APR doesnt matter as I PIF I just wish I had a better limit. It will come one day though.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.