Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST CARD FOR ME?

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: BEST CARD FOR ME?

The AU from your husbands should be considered as normal.  Hopefully your mother's too.

What were the CLs on the recently closed credit cards?

Your best bet is a CU or going into a Chase branch after your mortgage is done.

Nice thing for you if you get the right first cards with the right CLs, you will be good in 6 months-1 year to get any cards you really want.  BTW, when were you added as AU on that AMEX?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help! "
I was added on the AMEX in 2005, the closed accounts are as follows:

HSBC 750

CAPONE 300

SEARS 630

CAPONE  630

PNC  1500

Message 22 of 41
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Interesting.. Your CLs werent that high.  That is good to know as they aren't much more than beginner CLs.  Okay, here is what I recommend after your mortgage clears:

1) Go into Chase branch and app there.  Explain that you got bad advice and closed your CLs in anticipation of getting the mortgage.  Turned out bad advice.  Looking to reopen and wanted to start with Chase since you have relationship with them.  App for Freedom card.  No matter what CL you get, try to get more there (which will probably not happen).  Then call recon line for Chase and ask for more CL.  If you get denied, call for recon and tell the same story.  Emphasis the AUs are your husbands and receiptant of bad advice.  If recon doesn't work, then come back to this board for more advice.  Your FICO score should easily allow you to get that card so if denied it will be because of the issue around no open revolving credit lines.

If you get it, then I would app around same time for 2 other cards.  I would immediately post on this board after approval or denial of chase freedom with details so we can give you some more advice.  Maybe even consider a AMEX charge card for the backdating.  Card issuer to card issuer may or may not have problem with your lack of revolving trade lines so don't get discouraged by denials.

After you get your set of cards, you will garden for 6 months and see where your score is at. 

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you!! I will do this. As soon as we close, which will hopefully be sooner than later, but that is a whole nother story! I will let you know what  happens!

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the day after we closed on the refinance, I applied online to Chase Freedom - just to see what would happen. I was automatically approved and I see that the line is 1500, which is low, but at least it is a starting point.  What should my next move be? I would like to get a larger limit...

Message 25 of 41
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Look at my last post to you. Call chase recon and ask for higher cl. Can't hurt. 2nd do you know what credit bureau chase pulled. I would consider getting Amex if experian wasn't pulled. Safe bet would be one of the charge cards. Zync is easiest to get with lowest af. You goal here is to get direct relationship started with Amex. Make sure before you apply, if you haven't, create an online Id for the card you are au on. Double check that your member date is reflected correctly. What does it say on your existing card. Be logged in when your apply for whatever card you want. After this, let's get you one more card. Not sure if it should be major credit card or store card. Walmart near you and do you ever shop there?
Message 26 of 41
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Looking at your scores and details again. You are iffy for revolver. Definitely don't do bce/bcp. Delta might be okay, SPg, or co brand cards. You should be okay for most charge cards, zync green gold plat. Take your pick on which makes most sense for you. I'll have third recommendation once I hear you response from last question. Btw, is mortgage going on your credit report too?
Message 27 of 41
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase Freedom, Macy's, AMEX

Are you an AU on any of these cards?

If you are an AU on Amex..I would pick an Amex and hit the submitt button.

Your fico scores, income will be more than enough to get you in the door. GL Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 41
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Also are you eligible to join psecu? Noticed you had pnc card so do you live in PA? Call them and see
Message 29 of 41
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Congrats on the Freedom approval. It's a good rewards card. But don't get too anxious. You could probably get approved again for a smiliar card though. 

WHATEVER YOU DO, do not apply for a Capital One Cash (excellent credit version) or Venture at this point. That is, unless you go to their site and see if you're prequalified. Try it here: https://findmycard.capitalone.com/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_MS_V02.aspx

I only say this because, unlike the other issuers, if you are denied, you have no recourse to a credit analyst to ask for a recon. It's all done via brainless intermediaries or snail mail. The lack of that  "one on one" recon request will be frustrating and you may not follow thru. They make recons difficult. At least with the others, you can talk to someone who can directly help your case. 

BTW, stay away from Citi for rewards cards. I find them lame and unlucrative. Freedom, Blue Cash are great or even the BofA Cash Rewards card is decent. It's often overlooked. It's even better if you have a BofA checking account. You get a 10% bonus if the cash back goes into a BofA checking account. BofA might be a little tougher. Not sure. But I got a prequalfied offer a couple months ago with similar scores.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.