Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST CASH BACK ANNUAL FREE CARDS ?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: BEST CASH BACK ANNUAL FREE CARDS ?

@elegia wrote:

I've never used my SM for bookstore/Amazon purchases because I have the old Citi TYP card that gives unlimited 5% on all Amazon purchases, bookstores, entertainment, and best of all, restaurants and fast food. 

Citi Forward, right?  If you have an active Citi 5x TYP I am very jealous!

Message 61 of 109
elegia
New Contributor

Ack yes, Forward *smacks head*. I'll go fix that.

Message 62 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elegia wrote:

It really does depend on how much you spend and how you spend it. For example, my SO and I share all expenses and are AUs on most of each other's cards, and we spend way more money on groceries every month than the $250 monthly cap on the Sallie Mae card, and slightly more than the $6000 yearly limit on the Amex BCP, but not enough to make the Amex Blue Cash worth it. So I use my BCP ($75 AF) and supplement it with my SM occasionally. However, I do try to reserve the SM for Target/Walmart purchases.

I've never used my SM for bookstore/Amazon purchases because I have the old Citi Forward card that gives unlimited 5% on all Amazon purchases, bookstores, entertainment, and best of all, restaurants and fast food. If they axe it I'll be glad I have the SM card for Amazon (I am a Prime member and try to make as many of my purchases through them as possible).

Since that card isn't an option anymore, though, I have to throw my hat in for the Discover It. I do a lot of online shopping (most stores don't carry the petite sizes I need) and their ShopDiscover program has many of my favorite retailers, so that's a lot of 5-20% back right there even without the bonus category. Their cashback system is super easy and you aren't limited to having to redeem points for a limited selection of gift cards (like Citi) or save up to redeem for statement credit - you can just get a deposit to make things easy. However, they do have a nice selection of gift cards that you can redeem your points for at a discount (most cards knock off about 10-20%, but some are discounted 50%), which is great.

Aside from the 5% for restaurants and fast food, which is what most people seem to use the US Bank Cash+ for, it is also really great if you have a large monthly cell phone bill, like for a family plan with lots of data packages. Even if you just use the card to pay, say, a $450 monthly phone bill, that's an easy $270 right there. The $2000 quarterly cap on the 5% categories (which are combined) rather limits the total rewards you can get, but it's still a solid card.

I also recently got the BoA BBR card, which I had written off as lame for a long time before realizing that it's the easiest $120/year ever. Sure, it's not much overall, but if you are careful you'd actually be making money (which is why they will probably axe or change the card). I SDed the card but set up automatic Netflix charges and monthly auto-payments, so it's out of sight, out of mind. You can also set up an easy direct deposit for the rewards if you have a BoA bank account.

yeah i use my Better Balance Rewards and earn my $120 to supplement my American Express Gold $120 annual fee Smiley Very Happy

Message 63 of 109
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

5X TYP != 5% CB

Message 64 of 109
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Re: BEST CASH BACK CARDS ?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

you would have to spend $100,000 a month in order to earn $1,000 in cash back with American Express 1% everything. Unless you spend $16,667 of groceries each month 6% of that would give you $1,000 cash back at the end of the month but with American Express $6,000 limit the most you will earn with 6% cash back groceries is $360. 

As Fico2Go said, you don't understand how the products can be used.  I spend around $30K per month on "groceries" with the Blue Cash card, this costs about $360 out of pocket and generates $1,500 cash back.   Others do much much more.  And as he said, this is the Blue Cash card, not Blue Cash Preferred, having no cap is essential.

Wow! Smiley Surprised

Message 65 of 109
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

5X TYP != 5% CB

Well, it can be, with student loan or mortgage redemption.   Or you can get 4.5+% by getting Walmart gift cards and selling them via a broker.  With it being uncapped, it is still better tfor Amazon/entertainment/dining than most other cards

Message 66 of 109
budugu
Regular Contributor

Fidelity Amex Forex is 1%

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 67 of 109
pastnow123
Regular Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@pastnow123 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

DISCOVER IT - 5% rotating catergories, 1% everything TU FICO. Good online mall.

Sallie Mae Upromise.com card. Good online mall. TU FICO.

CHASE FREEDOM - 5% rotating catergories, 1% everything (10% bonus w/ chase bank account) Categories (gas, restaurant) covered by non-rotating cards.

US BANK CASH+ - 5% choosen category of choice, 2% Choosen category of choice, 1% everything. Multiple cards possible. $25 bonus possible 1/year.

Huntington Voice. 3% selectable category. Multiple cards possible.

CAPITALONE QUICKSILVER - 1.5% everything

JCB Marukai. 3% everything. ~$25 annual fee. Low credit limits. May require divine intervention to obtain...

CITI DOUBLE CASH - 2% everything, (1% when you buy, 1% when you pay)

Fidelity American Express. 2% everything. Higher redemption threshold than Double Cash. Amex not accepted everywhere?

AMERICAN EXPRESS BLUE CASH EVERYDAY - 3% groceries, 2% gas, 1% everything

AMERICAN EXPRESS BLUE CASH PREFERRED ($75 ANNUAL FEE) 6% groceries, 3% gas, 1% everything Annual fee, spending cap. Less than 5% cash back.

BANK AMERICA CASH REWARDS - 2% groceries, 3% gas, 1% everything

Sallie Mae Mastercard. 5% Gas, Grocery, Book Store/Amazon. Multiple cards possible. TU FICO.

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards. $25 every 3 months. Multiple cards possible. Must let card report balance each month.

Target credit card. 5% discount. TD Bank credit limits.

Chase AARP card. 3% Gas, 3% Restaurant. No caps.

Chase AARP card. 3% Travel. No caps.

WINNER ? Tie: US Bank Cash+: greater than 5% cash back. Sallie Mae MasterCard: Extremely useful set of 5% categories.

RUNNER UP ? Bank of America Better Balance Rewards: Money for nothing. Just not a lot of money...

May I know how did you get the 7% grocery Sallie Mae CC(In your card list)? Is it a typo?

Barclays gives out targeted bonuses to people sometimes. I've received 3 consecutive targeted offers, each for 3 months. Currently on that card I'm getting 2X bonus points at Grocery Stores, Electronics Store and Drug Stores. Capped at $25 in bonus, so $1250 spend in those categories. Its just another reason why everyone loves Barclays.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. That's a temporary offer then. Wish it can lastSmiley Happy

Message 68 of 109
pastnow123
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

this one has 5% gas ? https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue/25330

No, that is the Blue card, now useless compared to the Everyday card.  Copy and paste this into an anonymous browser (private/incognito etc)

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Now it straightens out. Thanks a lot for clarifying!

Message 69 of 109
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

you would have to spend $100,000 a month in order to earn $1,000 in cash back with American Express 1% everything. Unless you spend $16,667 of groceries each month 6% of that would give you $1,000 cash back at the end of the month but with American Express $6,000 limit the most you will earn with 6% cash back groceries is $360. 

As Fico2Go said, you don't understand how the products can be used.  I spend around $30K per month on "groceries" with the Blue Cash card, this costs about $360 out of pocket and generates $1,500 cash back.   Others do much much more.  And as he said, this is the Blue Cash card, not Blue Cash Preferred, having no cap is essential.

Wow! Smiley Surprised

I have to second this.  Wow!!  I'm amazed at how much some people spend on "groceries."

Message 70 of 109
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.