Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST CREDIT UNIONS CARDS FOR OK CREDIT?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

BEST CREDIT UNIONS CARDS FOR OK CREDIT?

When I look at credit unions like NFCU, I can only dream about the high credit limits offered by them.On this day when I picked up my beautiful new car I think about how great it would be to add a credit card as well. So I'm thinking of a way to make this happen.What credit unions do you believe are willing to approve a person with B credit?B credit meaning a single unpaid collection but still have low 700 scores. NFCU is out of the running unless I can get my brother-inlaw to rejoin and then sign up my sister.Which non military credit unions would you recommend?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: BEST CREDIT UNIONS CARDS FOR OK CREDIT?

@MountainHiker wrote:

When I look at credit unions like NFCU, I can only dream about the high credit limits offered by them.On this day when I picked up my beautiful new car I think about how great it would be to add a credit card as well. So I'm thinking of a way to make this happen.What credit unions do you believe are willing to approve a person with B credit?B credit meaning a single unpaid collection but still have low 700 scores. NFCU is out of the running unless I can get my brother-inlaw to rejoin and then sign up my sister.Which non military credit unions would you recommend?

Have you searched around locally?

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 2 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

I would totally bribe your brother in law to join. If for some reason he doesn't want to be a member, he can always close his acct after you join.

Aside from that, have you tried to PFD your CA? If you have the funds to pay, that would be the best way to go, depending on how old it is. If you have less than a year left on it, then you could wait it out. Paying without PFD doesn't really help because FICO is the same for paid and unpaid CAs.

There are other things to consider for approval: How old is your oldest open acct? How many CCs do you have? What is your util? How many inq do you have? What's your DTI ratio? What's your AAoA?

You don't need to answer those here. I'm just pointing out that CCs look at many factors besides your FICO and one CA. You might still be able to get some decent CCs with the CA; though you'll do much better with it off your CR.

You could try some local CUs. Call and talk with their loan officer. Explain your situation, and see who is willing to work with you. Some CUs are more conservative than others, so you just need to talk to them and feel them out.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 6
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

OP im guessing that collection must be fairly old for you to be 700 scores?  did your inlaw burn nfcu or what was the reason he is no longer a member?  as mentioned i would do just about anything to get him to rejoin lol.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 6
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

OP im guessing that collection must be fairly old for you to be 700 scores?  did your inlaw burn nfcu or what was the reason he is no longer a member?  as mentioned i would do just about anything to get him to rejoin lol.

I'm amazed that my scores have risen so high in the last six months.I was in the basement and now I'm looking over the top stairs viewing what the penthouse might be like.If this collection wasn't on my file I would allready have CitiBank platinum in my wallet, and the Citibank credit recon told me as much over the phone.I have tried to do a pay and delete and the collection agency refused my offer to pay off the debt in full.It's a old cell phone bill with T-Mobile that falls off in six months at the seven year mark, never to be seen again, and I will then pay it off, but for the original debt amount.Right now they could get the initial amount plus fees and interest. I was thinking that a credit union might be a great way to get a new card with a decent limit despite my one collection. But not sure which one to pick from.I'm in central florida and there must be a few credit unions that work with customers with ok credit? I need the help of the MYFICO CREDIT EXPERTS TO GUIDE ME!!

Goal 750 Across

Message 5 of 6
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I would totally bribe your brother in law to join. If for some reason he doesn't want to be a member, he can always close his acct after you join.

Aside from that, have you tried to PFD your CA? If you have the funds to pay, that would be the best way to go, depending on how old it is. If you have less than a year left on it, then you could wait it out. Paying without PFD doesn't really help because FICO is the same for paid and unpaid CAs.

There are other things to consider for approval: How old is your oldest open acct? How many CCs do you have? What is your util? How many inq do you have? What's your DTI ratio? What's your AAoA?

You don't need to answer those here. I'm just pointing out that CCs look at many factors besides your FICO and one CA. You might still be able to get some decent CCs with the CA; though you'll do much better with it off your CR.

You could try some local CUs. Call and talk with their loan officer. Explain your situation, and see who is willing to work with you. Some CUs are more conservative than others, so you just need to talk to them and feel them out.

Would like to get my bro inlaw to rejoin NFCU but I don't want to be too pushy. I've noticed they give awsome credit limitsSmiley Tongue,but if they are not a possibility there still must be other options for we that must not be spoken about.You know,those with a unpaid collection.

Goal 750 Across

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.