Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST WAY TO FURNISH MY NEW HOME

tag
nathan
Frequent Contributor

BEST WAY TO FURNISH MY NEW HOME

I really need some advice. I just closed on my new home and I am wondering what is the best way to finance some furniture without damaging my scores. i am hoping to pif when i get my $8000k next year after filing my taxes. I do have a mystery cc with 15k that has not reported for over a year now, and the last bal was $65 on exp, and zero bal on eq, and tu. Should i gamble and charge it on this cc hoping that it doesn't report or will a large purchase raise eye brows? I am also considering furniture stores that offer 0% financing, but i hate the fact that it will report as a new account. My gut tells me that it would be better to take a hit on high utl if the cc starts reporting again than a hit on new inq and new account. The interest rate on this cc is currently at 11%, but will be reduced to 9% variable this dec. what you guys and gals think?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

Re: BEST WAY TO FURNISH MY NEW HOME

I'd wait til the new rules take effect to make sure they don't RJ you.
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 2 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

Get the furniture from a mom and pop furniture store that doesn't report to the CRA's.  You may pay more in interest since they usually don't check credit.  They would just take the furniture back if you don't pay. 
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the home purchase!  I would wait 3 months til you file, have the money in the bank and THEN make the purchase.  Most furniture stores offer 6-10% off for cash IF you ask... but you gotta ask.
Message 4 of 20
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats on the home purchase!  I would wait 3 months til you file, have the money in the bank and THEN make the purchase.  Most furniture stores offer 6-10% off for cash IF you ask... but you gotta ask.

+1

If you wait and plan, you will get more of an idea of traffic pattern in your new home and your likes and dislikes. Where does the sun come in? This makes a difference in where you will place the TV, for example. Where will you sit and have your morning coffee?

Too many people run out and furnish a new home without living in it first. They may end up with a brand, spanking new and expensive living room set that they never will use, for example. Or a new dining room set that goes unused, instead of sturdy family room furniture, where they end up spending 80% of their time.

Get a feel for your new home first, and wait for the feeling of satisfaction by paying cash when the time comes. Watch for sales after you get your cash. Watch for good used furniture. (Don't laugh...people sell practically new stuff because they want a different color.)

Another aspect is that you don't want to spend the whole $8k on furniture. Wait and make sure all the appliances work, the roof doesn't leak, the hot water heater works, the furnace works, etc. Do you have an emergency fund, or should your $8k go towards that?

All of the above is just food for thought....plus the benefit of decades of experience in what CAN happen.

Message 5 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

With a new house I don't think anybody would wait 3 months to furnish it.  We live in a "I want it now" society.   

Message 6 of 20
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your new home! How about opening an LOC. Rates are pretty low.that way you don't have to furnish most of your home from a furniture store that offers financing...

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plus most furniture stores offering financing are in the "Consumer Finance Company" category - that's always a ding.  And it stays with you as long as the account reports on your CR's.  Payday advances just happen to be in the same "Consumer Finance Company" - always stay away.

"Best way to furnish my new home?"  Cash.  When you have it.  When you find the right piece.  Some quality pieces.  Some neighborhood sales finds.  Cash.  Cash.  Cash.  You will love the feeling in your new home.

I'll just offer this alternative viewpoint as one to consider - I would never use credit for furniture.  Homes, yes.  Cars, sometimes.  Education, sure.  Furniture, nadda chance.  I've lived on some pretty tight budgets but our home has always looked classy - and felt good.  I've even been asked to teach little mini-classes on home design.  Go figure!?!?!?!

Take what you've got with you and evolve the furnishings in your home - you'll be ready to spend that cash wisely when it comes in.

Congrats on your new home!  Hope you totally enjoy setting up house - in every way!

Message 8 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

To add what beamMeup said...

Finance company accounts are generally considered to be higher risk lenders who target higher risk customers. As such, consumers who have finance company accounts on their credit reports could suffer lower scores.

Message 9 of 20
nathan
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the advice. I plan to use 4k for furniture and save the other 4k for emergency fund. Is it better for me to file my tax admendment now or just wait and claim the 8k next january when I file? If I file next year , can the 8k still be directly deposited or will i still have to wait about 16 weeks for a check from Uncle Sam. I have looked at the irs web site , but could not find any information on that.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.