Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST WAY TO MANAGE SEVERAL CARDS?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BEST WAY TO MANAGE SEVERAL CARDS?

Everyone has been so helpful Thank You!

I’m fairly new to carrying several credit cards. I do like the idea of having cards for different needs. What is the best strategy for keeping scores up or steady when managing several cards?

I do use my rewards cards a lot. Should I spread out card usage? For reporting purposes, does making small purchases makes sense on the cards, or is it best to leave at 0?

I have 6 cards, and I can’t imagine even looking into getting additional cards without first managing the ones that I have well.

Any bit of info is greatly appreciated..

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: BEST WAY TO MANAGE SEVERAL CARDS?

That's a really nice mix of cards. Congratulations on getting to this point.

The Freedom card requires you to accept/register the Category spend for the quarter, so you want to complete that at the start of each quarter. It will pick up any charges already done, so the first month of the quarter is fine. The Freedom category bonus will most often be better than any of your other cards, so in that category, should be favored for that quarter.

The other cards have various strengths in the various daily spend categories, so just read through their offerings, and kind of lean toward one card or the other for certain types of spend. However, they tend to be only 1% difference in many main categories, so not much difference really.

My preference is to try to use each card a little each month, and I don't worry about cards reporting balances.

There is a FICO optimization strategy that requires ensuring all cards but one report a zero balance. If the card is used during the month, then the charges need to be paid prior to the statement date to ensure it is zero. This requires two things: Paying much earlier than if you wait for the statement to print, and knowing exactly the day the statement will close so you can avoid showing any balance. You can pick up a few points in FICO score this way, and leading up to a significant application it can make a difference if scores are otherwise hindered by negatives such as late payments. For my purposes? It's too much work, and not a noticeable change in FICO score, so even prior to apps I never worry about it.

If you are not doing any applications, then it definitely makes the most sense to just use the cards for the best reward possible, don't go over the limit, pay the statement balance in full by the due date, at least make the minimum payment by the due date for no late payments. Credit cards are supposed to be a tool, and these can provide good rewards.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Message 3 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It also helps to make a spreadsheet showing all accounts with due dates, statement dates, APRs, promo periods, recurring charges, balances, limits, etc. that's what I do and it helps tremendously. I've already pretty much memorized my due dates/statement dates on all accounts.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks omar! Do you carry a balance on all of your cards? Do you think it helps to keep some at zero and then rotate?

Message 5 of 15
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Scoring is an odd beast. My TU and EQ went up when util at 7%, then EX went up (have not updated sig) when util is 4%. Since the companies appear to like different edges, I personally would not worry. Though I keep about half at 0 for reporting purposes.

Just be sure not paying interest, because that sucks. Wish I had only five to juggle (assuming you are keeping citi secured for score purposes?)

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, i appreciate your response. Oh yes, my citi secured card. I need to figure out what the best course of action would be with that card. I thought the card would graduate in january but now I am not sure.. I am waiting to see what happens. I would like an unsecured citi card, but I don't want another hardpull. I also checked site too see if I prequalify for an unsecured card, but nothing yet..so just waiting.

Message 7 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks omar! Do you carry a balance on all of your cards? Do you think it helps to keep some at zero and then rotate?

Definitely not lol. I carry a balance on about 3 of them, taking advantage of 0% promos. For optimal scoring purposes, it's best to keep all cards at zero and only let one report a balance every month. This doesn't mean you can only *use* one card per month; it simply means you have to pay off any balances on your other cards before the statement generates. However, this approach is really only useful when you're getting ready to apply for a new card, a car loan, or a mortgage; otherwise, it's just needless micromanaging.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the best strategy for keeping scores up or steady when managing several cards?

As with best on any topic it's a highly subjective matter and you really have to find what works for you.  You need to find the right tools for managing your account and you may want to look at existing discussions as it is a very common topic.  Spreadsheets, Mint, Quicken, YNAB, Manila and a number of other options are all popular solutions.

You also need to determine your priorities and how your actions impact your scores.  As far as scoring impact from reported revolving utilization is concerned, you revolving utilization is detemrined based on the balances and limits as currently indicated on your reports so you really don't need to obsess over revolving utilization aside from generally keeping it under 30%.  If you're applying for new credit you may want to optimize your reported utilization prior to applying.  When your updated balances report your scores will reflect the change.

@Anonymous wrote:

I do use my rewards cards a lot. Should I spread out card usage? For reporting purposes, does making small purchases makes sense on the cards, or is it best to leave at 0? 

If rewards are a priority then use the cards that maximize the rewards on your spend.  You don't need to spread usage.  For scoring purposes the standard advice is:

• Don't exceed 30% though optimal will be much lower.
  • To optimize, such as when applying for new credit, allow only one balance to report at 10% or less.

IMO you're really overthinking this aspect.  Just use your cards and keep an eye on your reported revolving utilization.  You don't need to obsess over it unless applying for new credit and even then you'll want to see if fussing over it really provides significant scoring benefit for you.  I personally don't bother with micromanaging revolving utilization or number of balances but my credit supports my goals.  Your credit is probably different and YMMV.

You do want to ensure that you meet your creditors' minimum activity requirement to avoid closure.

@Anonymous wrote:

You never need to carry a balance for scoring purposes. Make sure you understand the difference between allowing a balance to report and carrying a balance.  You can allow a balance to report without carrying.

Rotating would only really help with avoiding closure due to inactivity.

Message 9 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, i appreciate your response. Oh yes, my citi secured card. I need to figure out what the best course of action would be with that card. I thought the card would graduate in january but now I am not sure.. I am waiting to see what happens. I would like an unsecured citi card, but I don't want another hardpull. I also checked site too see if I prequalify for an unsecured card, but nothing yet..so just waiting.

Don't fret about the HP. It may even be on 2 bureaus, as my AAdvantage app was recently. It will be a few points yes, but unless they have a clear upgrade path to a really superior card, taking the HP is often the best way to jump to a higher tier card. You don't have that many cards, and adding just one is not going to be noticeable in the long run.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.