Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST&EASIER Alliant,USAA?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: BEST&EASIER Alliant,USAA?

@jsucool76 wrote:

USAA is a bank, not a credit union, quick FYI Smiley Tongue . if you have no military background (or anything else listed in their eligiblity list) or a family member who is a full member and has purchased P&C products through them, then you are only eligible for partial member status, which is limited to banking, and 3 different credit card options. 

You can get into alliant by making a donation to one of their non-profit organizations listed on their site if you don't qualify to bank with them. 

Edit: Bah, I always feel stupid when people reply while I'm typing. haha Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for your post.Will consider apping with Alliant.I do like the fact they offer sizable CL's. Plus, I would like to start a relationship with a Credit Union

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 11 of 22
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@OptimalFICO wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

Which of these two are easiest to get and give higher credit limits iyo? And best services?

If you are new to Alliant, my experience has been that they are not very generous with their initial CLs. When my fiance first applied, his initial CL was very low. We called and requested reconsideration, especially considering he had also opened a savings account with a considerable balance. After the rep spoke with underwriting, she conveyed that they could only go as high as $3K since he was new to Alliant. She suggested he request a CLI after the relationship was more established.

Note that as of our asking about six months ago, Alliant responded they do not give automatic CLIs. You must request a CLI, upon which they perform a HARD inquiry.

My experience with USAA, which I don't think is a credit union btw, is that their customer service is fabulous.

Agree that initial CLs are not great with Alliant, but I went from $500 to $15K after 6 months with a 5 year old BK7 on my CR.  Alliant has been great with me...they just want to see a little history.      

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 12 of 22
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

my two cents: i love USAA! Service is impeccable and everything is so easy to navigate. However, it's made for a younger, hip generation (i.e., my mom cant use the website) but service stands out like none other. We are military family. I got a very nice card with a huge CL from USAA. Penfed turned me down btw. My next stop is either NavyFed or Alliant...not sure still searching for the perfect one. Good luck my friend! Smiley Wink

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 13 of 22
NikJ4
Established Contributor

USAA hates me. I have full membership and can get nothing from them at this time. I am so discouraged but I do have NFCU $5K limit so who cares at the end of the day!

Message 14 of 22
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

ewwww thats all you really need!! Ive heard nothing but incredible things about NFCU.  I want a NavyFed CC so bad I can taste it! Just to build my portfolio and strengthen my credit profile. Another thing is that I heard you should always apply for credit when you don't need it, so you have it. I am following that advice. I am waiting for the right time to apply with NFCU! Smiley Wink

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 15 of 22
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

@visorboy1974 wrote:
Agree that initial CLs are not great with Alliant, but I went from $500 to $15K after 6 months with a 5 year old BK7 on my CR.  Alliant has been great with me...they just want to see a little history.      

Thanks for the info. I've recently read more about similar experiences others have had. Going to have fiance request a CLI once we buy a home. Incidentally, Alliant is apparently changing its VISA accounts third party vendor and updating its credit card platform this weekend to upgrade and enhance system capability and functionality. Thank goodness, I found their previous user interface cumbersome and functionality significantly lacking. Can't wait to see the result.

Message 16 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with other posters concerning nfcu. However nfcus interface is a little lacking. Oh well, it works!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 17 of 22
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

Just FYI Alliant increased fiance's CL to $10,000 in January of this year (per his request and a hard credit inquiry).

Message 18 of 22
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

USAA is a bank, not a credit union, quick FYI Smiley Tongue . if you have no military background (or anything else listed in their eligiblity list) or a family member who is a full member and has purchased P&C products through them, then you are only eligible for partial member status, which is limited to banking, and 3 different credit card options. 

You can get into alliant by making a donation to one of their non-profit organizations listed on their site if you don't qualify to bank with them. 

Edit: Bah, I always feel stupid when people reply while I'm typing. haha Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for your post.Will consider apping with Alliant.I do like the fact they offer sizable CL's. Plus, I would like to start a relationship with a Credit Union

In your sig you note a NFCU card which in theory should qualify you for USAA.

Message 19 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.