cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE! Discover dropped my CL for no reason!

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: BEWARE! Discover dropped my CL for no reason!

Vote with your dollars is a credo originally intended in response to a violation, has sorta become trite with overuse, in this application, 'take your toys and go home, if you choose' seems more appropriate.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 71 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was meant to be applied in the sense that if the OP felt wronged they should use any one of their other credit lines instead to their liking.
Message 72 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

regardless it's written in EVERY card agreement that the creditor can reduce the limit without notice. no reason for OP to be sour. it's business.
Message 73 of 169
AKO17
Regular Contributor

Lo and behold, Discover bumped my CL back up to the original amount. I'm happy with it, but wish they'd stop playing with my emotions Smiley Wink

Message 74 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AKO17 wrote:

Lo and behold, Discover bumped my CL back up to the original amount. I'm happy with it, but wish they'd stop playing with my emotions Smiley Wink

Outstanding! 

Message 75 of 169
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

I guess my take on this type of thing happening is "Easy come, Easy go".

Let's be honest folks...obtaining credit in this country is incredibly EASY!!!  All the banks do is run a credit check...and most of us can start getting "prime" cards with decent limits in the 650-660 range, which I think we can all admit are hardly stellar scores. Income is basically on the honor system (unverified).  

So if we want easy credit (and I think most of us do), we have to accept banks will be more skittish about risk than say taking out a mortgage (where there is a tangible asset to back up the loan).  This is why mortgage interest rates are 3-4% and most CC are well north of 10%.

Where I agree with the OP is that banks (esp the big ones) can be incredibly cold and ruthless when making these decisions.  Banks are also not above making mistakes.  I hope in OP's case, it was a computer error and the CL will be restored.

Well said.....

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 76 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, OP!

Message 77 of 169
codimom
Frequent Contributor

@AKO17 wrote:

Good news.. now garden. use . .. pif... lather, rinse, repeat.  

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 78 of 169
score_building
Senior Contributor

@codimom wrote:

@AKO17 wrote:

Good news.. now garden. use . .. pif... lather, rinse, repeat.  

and understand there are reasons for what happened, it could happen again, and working on improving profile/PIF/diversification is generally a good defense against fallout, if it does.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 79 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they did the same thing to me.  They started me off with a $2000 CL in May of this year.    Increased it by $200 two months later.  I transferred a balance to the Discover Card and gotten the amount low enough to pay it off.   When I went to pay the balance, my available credit was $25.  I thought it was a mistake but it wasn't .  I was never late on payments and paid way more than the minimum every month.  If I would have known they would have done that, I would have kept it maxed out.

Message 80 of 169
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.