Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE Higher Interest Rates on PenFed Pre-approved Offers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BEWARE Higher Interest Rates on PenFed Pre-approved Offers

Contacted PenFed today to ask a couple questions on the long list of pre-approved credit offers they gave me. While I was on the phone with them I ended up inquiring about both a credit card (PenFed Power Cash Rewards $31,800) and loan (New Auto Loan $50,000).

I currently have a PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (no longer offered) with a rate of 10.49% and a 60 month new auto loan with PenFed at a rate of 2.49%. When I originally got these accounts in August 2016 I was a new member and my original Nextgen Score was 769.

A couple days ago is the first time I have received pre-approved offers from PenFed and now my Nextgen score is 772 (nearly identical to what it was 8 months ago, and I have had no missed payments and quite a bit of use on the credit card paying off all but about 1% each month). So in the eyes of PenFed I should be the same or better as far as my creditworthiness is concerned.

When calling in today to inquire about trying to get a credit line increase on my current card which has a rate of 10.49% (since it wasn't listed in my pre-approved offers) I was told that since that specific card was no longer offered (the reason it wasn't on the pre-approved list to begin with) it would take a a hard pull to get a credit line increase on it. I didn't really need the cli so I didn't want to waste a hard pull. I then inquired about the new cash rewards card, thinking I could possibly just transfer my current card into that. I was told no, I couldn't transfer into it, but I could get a new account through the preapproval and the interest rate would be 14.49%. I reconfirmed the rate with them and was told "Yes, 14.49%. 4 points higher than you currently have. If you want, we can do a hard pull and most likely get you the same or better rate than you currently have."

I was now curious about this higher rate offered on the credit card and decided to inquire about the new auto loan I was offered. I was told a new auto loan through the preapproved process today would have be at a rate of 4.49%, a full 2 points higher than the 2.49% I currently have. I was then told basically the same thing, that if I allowed them to do a hard pull I would most likely get the same rate I currently have.

Just be aware that PenFed pre-approved offers will not get you the best rate you can get through PenFed. To get the best rate will require a hard pull of your credit report (assuming your credit is still as good or better than your last hard pull done by PenFed). The only way I can see a preapproved offer being beneficial to someone is if you've had some recent bad credit report. I think in most cases it would be worth a hard pull to get the lower rate, especially a rate which is lower by multiple points.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Mahraja
Valued Contributor

Re: BEWARE Higher Interest Rates on PenFed Pre-approved Offers

you are 1000% correct on that i got pre approved PL offer from penfed @ 14.99 APR week later i cold applied the same personal loan without offer code and got Approved at 10.49 APR thank you for the info good luck

Profile Worth 2.0+M+
___________R.a.j
"Be Stronger Than Your Strongest Excuse"
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes sense. I don't know if I'll have any preapproved offers from Penfed by fall, but I'm seriously considering making an in-person application so I can sit down and talk in detail about any questions about my credit history with the Penfed banker on the scene; I'm fully aware that a HP will be required, but in this case that's fine because I'm expecting it anyway. (More generally, I think people get a bit more frightened about HP's sometimes than they need to be; when it comes to getting the best terms possible on a loan, you do need to have the lender have the best and most accurate possible picture of your profile, and how else are they supposed to get it?)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know! I usually always app with Penfed over the phone. My power card is 9.24% 

Message 4 of 5
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

While I do agree that it's totally fair to require a hard pull when applying for a loan, I disagree that a hard pull is required to see the full picture. From what I've read, a soft pull friends the exact same data, so I don't see why the granted rate should be different!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.