Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**BEWARE** New credit card scam...

tag
gogotexan
Regular Contributor

**BEWARE** New credit card scam...

So I got an email alert that my balance increased on my crap1 quicksilver card.  That card has been sock drawered and hasn't been used in almost a year so I knew something was fishy.  I log into my account online and notice a pending charge for $9.85.  It's listed as:

02/08/2014Amazon Services-Kindle 866-216-1072 WA 98144 USAMerchandise$9.85

Then I remember an article I read a few weeks ago that warned about a CC scam where the thieves were charges small amounts like $9.84 or $10.02 hoping that nobody would notice.  I've canceled the card, but I'm really confused how they got access to my card seeing as I haven't used it since early last year. 

So everybody, be careful and check your statements for suspicious activity. 

Starting Scores 11/12/2012 EX - 590, EQ - 584, TU - 601
FICO Scores as of 02/06/2014 EX - 687, EQ - 659, TU - 697
BK 7 Discharged Oct 2010, In my wallet: NFCU VisaSiggy $26K; NFCU GoRewards $10K; NFCU Navcheck $15K; Star Furniture $5K, Conns Credit $7K, GE (Ashley Furniture) $1K, GE (Rooms to Go) $3K, Barclay Arrival MC $3K; PWFCU Visa $2.5K; Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2K; Chase Freedome $500; Cap1 Secured $500
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Re: **BEWARE** New credit card scam...

Thanks for this. Great to know! Just checked my statements, and they're clean!! 

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 2 of 14
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Ha, good to know thanks for the info!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Thx for the heads up, all is well here Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.

Message 5 of 14
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.  I check my active card balances daily, but I almost never check my sockdrawer card.  I need to do that from now on.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 6 of 14
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@gogotexan wrote:

So I got an email alert that my balance increased on my crap1 quicksilver card.  That card has been sock drawered and hasn't been used in almost a year so I knew something was fishy.  I log into my account online and notice a pending charge for $9.85.  It's listed as:

Then I remember an article I read a few weeks ago that warned about a CC scam where the thieves were charges small amounts like $9.84 or $10.02 hoping that nobody would notice.  I've canceled the card, but I'm really confused how they got access to my card seeing as I haven't used it since early last year. 

Thanks for posting this reminder. I check my accounts online each and every day due to these ever-present thieves...Smiley Frustrated!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 14
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@gogotexan wrote:

Thanks for posting this reminder. I check my accounts online each and every day due to these ever-present thieves...Smiley Frustrated!

that's not a scam charge, that's actually Amazon's Number for when you buy games and things online. Have you purchsed any services online through Amazon with that card?

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 8 of 14
Schism213
Established Member

Do you have that CC saved in your amazon wallet?? Twice this past year I've had my amazon password jacked and had several digital games ordered on my account.

In the garden since 06/11/2013

CapOne Platinum MC $3,000/Discover IT $2,000/WalMart $2,000/BestBuy MC (AU) $900/Target $700/BofA Bank Americard $500

As of 12/13/13 - TU: 698 EXP:699 EQ:660
Message 9 of 14
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Check your Amazon account! They may have gottn access to it and charged it to the card on the account.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.