Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BJ's switching from Barclay to Comenity

tag
PCMedic
New Contributor

BJ's switching from Barclay to Comenity

Just received notice that effective October 26 my BJ's Visa (issued by Barclays) would become inactive and that I would be receiving a new BJ's Perks Mastercard to replace it (issued by Comenity). Benefits look pretty good (comparitively). Just wondering if because it is an actual bank change as well will it show as new account effecting AOA.

Scores Credit Karma TU=697 Vantage 727 | WalMart TU=709 | CreditSesame Exp=739 | Exp. FICO = 739 Barclays TU=706 Discover IT = 702

Discover IT $14,900 | BJ's Perks MC $5500 | TD Bank Visa Signature $5000 | Capitol One QuickSilver One $1600 | Capitol One Platinum Prestige $3000 | Merrick $4000 | Walmart $50000 | PayPal CS $1400 | Fingerhut $1800 | OCCU Duck $5000 | SG Visa $2000
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: BJ's switching from Barclay to Comenity

Mind sharing the benefits they outlined?  The press release noted they would be "class leading".  I'd be interested if they are anywhere close to what Sam's Club and Costco offer.

Message 2 of 25
sccredit
Valued Contributor

My bet is that it will show as a new TL

Message 3 of 25
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Never mind, found them.  They're OK - not as good as Sam's though

https://d.comenity.net/info/bjs/

- 10 cent BJ's gas discount

- 3% back at BJ's

- 2% back on non-BJ's gas and dining

- 1% back elsewhere

- $10 discount on membership with auto-renew

There's also an "Elite" version with 5% back at BJ's and $25 off membership, but no indication if that is for the BJ's Rewards members only (would assume it does).

Message 4 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@MASTERNC wrote:

- 3% back at BJ's

- 1% back elsewhere

There's also an "Elite" version with 5% back at BJ's and $25 off membership, but no indication if that is for the BJ's Rewards members only (would assume it does).

Well, that's something.   A warehouse cobranded card that offers better benefits for using the card at their own store.   How novel.  

AFAIK, the only BJ's we have in this area (SoCal) is the restaurant with the pizza and Pazookies, not the warehouse store.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm...there are no costco/sam's club in my city but there is a BJ's.  When is this being rolled out?

Message 6 of 25
PCMedic
New Contributor

Current card holders are transitioned October 26th so it would seem some where in that same time frame.

Also see that in spring of 2015 all accounts will be transitioned to chip enabled Mastercards.

Scores Credit Karma TU=697 Vantage 727 | WalMart TU=709 | CreditSesame Exp=739 | Exp. FICO = 739 Barclays TU=706 Discover IT = 702

Discover IT $14,900 | BJ's Perks MC $5500 | TD Bank Visa Signature $5000 | Capitol One QuickSilver One $1600 | Capitol One Platinum Prestige $3000 | Merrick $4000 | Walmart $50000 | PayPal CS $1400 | Fingerhut $1800 | OCCU Duck $5000 | SG Visa $2000
Message 7 of 25
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@MASTERNC wrote:

- 3% back at BJ's

- 1% back elsewhere

Did confirm in the FAQs that BJ'S Rewards members will receive the Elite version.  I am not sure if that 5% includes the 2% rewards currently received from the membership level or if it is in addition (if the latter, it would be a 7% payback).

Message 8 of 25
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@PCMedic wrote:

Just received notice that effective October 26 my BJ's Visa (issued by Barclays) would become inactive and that I would be receiving a new BJ's Perks Mastercard to replace it (issued by Comenity). Benefits look pretty good (comparitively). Just wondering if because it is an actual bank change as well will it show as new account effecting AOA.

Wow, I like this news, since Barclay's has been rumored to not have customers with multiple accounts open with them...  The BJs card was on my potential wish list. Now that it's with Comenity, it should be a walk in the park if I wish to apply.

BJs is my least favorite of the three warehouse chains, but they're nearby.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the heads up.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.