Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK Friendly Credit Cards Listed

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: BK Friendly Credit Cards Listed

My experiences over the last two plus months. Credit unions seem to be the most BK friendly and are the most generous with credit limits. Navy Federal and Pentagon Federal. Be prepared to provide pay stubs for Penfed and they are much more conservative than the Navy. IF you can get into Navy Federal you must do it. By far the most generous. I got a fairly decent credit limit with Juniper Sea Miles instant approval as well. $7500 but to be fair I had nothing showing on my reports at the time. It was the first in the mini aporama. I received small credit limits from Citi (3K) and Chase (5K) late in the spree. If I had to do it again I thin I would have waited the 3 years to apply for the Citi and Chase cards since the limits are very small. I dunno. My scores took the biggest jump after increasing the number of credit cards from 2 to 4 and available credit limit from 12K to 30K. After the next 5 cards and 60K credit hit my reports I went from EX 705 to 684. So all in all I went from 12K available credit to over 90K brought utilization down from 56% to under 1% and saw my scores just a smidge higher over the course of two months. I am 15 points higher on EQ and TU and 12 higher on EX. I would suggest if you have a BK showing to be careful what you are applying for and do not waste inquiries if you can help it. AMEX is a 99% no go with a BK. Citi and Chase you can get but do not expect large limits at first. Credit unions seem to be the way to go.
Message 31 of 471
sar1961
Valued Member

The results of my app spree over the last couple of weeks:
Hooters-$4000CL (got today)
US Airways-$8000CL (got today)
NFCU-Visa-$10000CL
NFCU-MC-$12500CL
CCCU-$5000CL
Patelco-$5000CL

Penfed-denied (CO-pd, disputed-TU deleted, EX corrected, EQ still investigating
WAMU-denied (?)
BOA-denied (?)

I also applied with NFCU for a $15000 LOC, they called today to verify employment, so maybe I find something out tomorrow.

My FICOs as of yesterday: TU-690, EX-695, EQ-677. I would never have had to guts or know-how to do this if it were not for the forum. I was in credit limbo for so long that I was afraid of getting denials (took them way too personally, I guess). But, all of you gave me courage. I appreciate you guys and gals soooo much!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume you need to join the credit unions before applying for their CCs?
Message 33 of 471
sar1961
Valued Member

Yes. For eligibility for CCCU you simply have to state that you agree with their mission statement. For Patelco I simply entered my state where it asks for city and left the second step blank and it worked. But, if you click on "tools and resources" then "forms and apps", scroll down there is an invitation to join for California and for "national". For Penfed you can become eligible by joining an association they advertise on the site.
Message 34 of 471
sar1961
Valued Member

I'm sorry, I forgot about Navy Federal CU. My daughter was in the Navy and I joined through her.
Message 35 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

"NFCU-Visa-$10000CL
NFCU-MC-$12500CL"

Was this one Navy and one Nasa?
Message 36 of 471
sar1961
Valued Member

No, they were both Navy. I applied for the Visa on the 26th and got an instant approval. I applied for the Mastercard on the 27th and didn't get an approval until today.
Message 37 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, they extended a lot of credit at one time. Now I need to see if I can find a way to join Smiley Happy
Message 38 of 471
sar1961
Valued Member

Good luck!! Look at the requirements, you might see that you have family that works for a contractor or something if not the Navy. When you join they will ask you for the current member's access #.
Message 39 of 471
Anonymous
Not applicable

Access #, is that their account number in the credit union, and they have to have joined the CU also?
Message 40 of 471
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.