Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMO Harris Card Re Open?

tag
dlefkowi
Established Member

BMO Harris Card Re Open?

I had a BMO Harris card some years ago ( Opened in 2000 and closed in 06 with good pay history) After that time I ruined my credit and have been spending the last year cleaning it up. Currently my Scores EX:606 EQ(MY Fico):626 And TU(Credit Karma & Cap 1): 612. I am wondering if it is possible to re open that old BMO harris account (Hoping to have account back dated to 2000? Does anyone think this is possoble with these scores? Or am I better off saving the inquiry for next month when I can take my utilization from 83 % to zero and hopefully see a good score increase then app bmo? I guess im wondering since I had good prev account history if they will accept the lower scores?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: BMO Harris Card Re Open?

it is super rare for banks to re-open old closed accounts and that's within a year or so... you can't get an 06 card re-opened and the only bank that backdates year of opening is American Express.

Message 2 of 6
dlefkowi
Established Member

Ok. I had heard that about amex so that's what made me wonder with bmo. As far as approval goes, I know my scores are lower than what I would normally need to get approved with bmo, but if I had account with them in previous good previous good standing
Message 3 of 6
dlefkowi
Established Member

Bump
Message 4 of 6
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

IMHO one of the worst mistakes I made was bringing my overall balance to $0.00. It is my understanding that 0% utilization decreases one's score from an A grade to a C grade. You lose points. It is best to at least have 1% utilization on overall accounts. You are being rated on activity. If there is no activity to rate, you take a nice little hit. Just my 2 cents.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 5 of 6
dlefkowi
Established Member

From what I can tell you want your util to be in the 10-20% range. Which is what I was meaning
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.