BOA 99/500 Card - When to unsecure?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BOA 99/500 Card - When to unsecure?

@YahComb wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@-Cain- wrote:
Call and ask about adding the 123 rewards to your card. That should be able to get done no problem, without a credit pull. Wait until the year mark to ask for graduation. They may or may not auto graduate your card. If they do auto graduate, it may not cost you a HP, if they don't they will definitely pull when you request it. Since the $99 isn't that big of a deal anyway, just wait it out. It really shouldn't make a difference whether your CR shows secured or unsecured at this point in your credit journey. Best of luck.
Plus some have reported that once they added rewards on, the card did not report as secured.

My Experian and Equifax have dropped the "secured" part from my BOA account after i called this past saturday to request rewards be added to my secured card. That may or may not be a sign of graduation, the new account number hasn't updated yet, so it's possible this is just temporary until they report the new account number for the 1-2-3 card, at which point "secured credit card" may show up again. But i'm hoping for the better! my 10th statement closes today, i wouldn't expect a 2-month early graduation on a fully secured card.

Experian doesn't report my secured card as "secured" at all Smiley Wink.  It only states "Revolving" as the credit type (from when I pulled it in March) so I wouldn't take that as gospel; however, both TU/EQ recognize it's secured and mark it as such. 

I'll continue to check my report data  on TU via CK to see if they did an off-cycle update as you intimated in the 1-2-3 rewards on secured thread; so far no mojo but I only requested the addition yesterday.  Also I'm 4 months from graduation, and if they did any sort of review to see if the rewards could be added, it's entirely possible they ran it through the graduation process in your case sitting at 9+ months of history.

        
Message 11 of 12
CreditRepairGirl23
New Contributor

Re: BOA 99/500 Card - When to unsecure?

Update : Its been 13 months since I opened the 99/500 card. My score had gone done to 621 and most recently today I had alert it was back up to 631 so i figured what the hey..Called and this experience was SO DIFFERENT.

The rep Jamie was so nice, asked about work history and said since Ive been at my job 9 years thats very good She also mentioned she sees I use the card but pay in full almost every month. I also have checking and savings with boa and have had them for 5+years. After a few mins - unsecured and cash back rewards. They did ask me what CLI I wanted and I asked for modest increase from $500 to $1000. I kinda wished maybe I had aimed a bit higher but I am still happy. I am thinking maybe in the spring I will try for another CLI.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.