Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Amex CLI Any takers?

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

BOA Amex CLI Any takers?

I am itching to ask BOA to increase my credit limit to 10.1k from 7.5k today since its Black Friday. I am in a shopping mood.

My FICO is 700. Do you think because its black friday there is a chance of an auto approval. What issuers would be

auto approving CLIs today?

I was told they are all hard pulls now. Any takers to try today and see what happens?

I dont want to risk the inquiry.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: BOA Amex CLI Any takers?

@MrCredit wrote:

I am itching to ask BOA to increase my credit limit to 10.1k from 7.5k today since its Black Friday. I am in a shopping mood.

My FICO is 700. Do you think because its black friday there is a chance of an auto approval. What issuers would be

auto approving CLIs today?

I was told they are all hard pulls now. Any takers to try today and see what happens?

I dont want to risk the inquiry.

Maybe freeze reports and try it??? Nothing to lose.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Can you freeze and unfreeze reports online?? What does that cost and where do I go?

Happy Thanksgiving

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrCredit wrote:

Can you freeze and unfreeze reports online?? What does that cost and where do I go?

Happy Thanksgiving

You can freeze your reports by calling each of the CRA's, I just froze my TU and EX late last week (EQ has been froze for months)

TU 1-800-916-8800 talk to the CSR tell him/her you want to place a freeze on your report and he will process your request and give you this number to call to freeze your report 1-888-909-8872, you may be able to skip calling the first number and call the second number, I don't know, I called the first number initially and after he did something he provided me with the second number I listed to complete the freeze with TU, upon calling the second number (automated service) I was asked to provide info to verify my identity and it asked me to create a 6 digit PIN number, that you will need to have if you want to temp lift a freeze, as for the cost, it depends in which state you live, in NC where I live, there is no charge. And using the second number I have listed is the number you would use to put a temp lift on your freeze, you will need the PIN you created and you will have to choose a timeframe you want your lift, 1day is the least and 30 days is the max, it will take about 15 minutes after you hang the phone up, for your report to be temp unfroze.

EX 1-888-397-3742, you can do a security freeze all by automated service, but with EX you do not create a PIN for yourself, they will send you a letter in the mail with a PIN they have created for you, and I think the process is the same as I've described above for placing a temp lift on your freeze, and again the cost is based on which state you reside.

EQ 1-866-640-2273, not sure exactly how it works with EQ because I already have their ID Patrol monitoring service, which allows me to lock and unlock my report at will VIA my phone, I have the EQ app that allows me to log in to my account and click one button and unlock or lock my report at will. I can also do it on their website by logging into my account and lock or unlock it there.

Best of Luck!

Message 4 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Can companies, you are not doing business with, still do soft pulls on frozen reports?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

Can companies, you are not doing business with, still do soft pulls on frozen reports?

The way it was explained to me was, that the only companies that can view your report when froze, are your current creditors, and I was sure to ask if one of my current creditors can hard me when my report is froze, say for example I request a CLI, I was told no, they can not hard me, they can only soft me.

As far as companies you are not doing business with being able to still do softs, I did not ask that question, so I'm not really sure.

Message 6 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

The way it was explained to me was, that the only companies that can view your report when froze, are your current creditors, and I was sure to ask if one of my current creditors can hard me when my report is froze, say for example I request a CLI, I was told no, they can not hard me, they can only soft me.

As far as companies you are not doing business with being able to still do softs, I did not ask that question, so I'm not really sure.

No, they can't. This is why when you freeze your reports, you won't get CC (or insurance) offers, and pre-approval sites won't work.

Also, if you're heading for a mortgage, the CRA's won't be able to sell your name to junk debt buyers. They buy lists of consumers with new mortgage inquiries and try to match names with old collections floating around, so that they can slap a collection on your reports. Even if it's way past reporting, or if it's not even yours, they know that mortgage lenders don't want open collections on your reports, and you'll be pressured by time to pay the collection, again even if it's not yours, or if it's long since paid.

Your current (= you have open accounts with them) creditors still have the right to soft you using the AR (account review) and AM (account maintenance) designators. No one else can.

Interesting about them not being able to randomly hard you, though. That does make sense, it that if you have a BofA card, and you want to apply for a second (different) BofA card, it would require a hard pull, so you would have to unfreeze your report.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

No, they can't. This is why when you freeze your reports, you won't get CC (or insurance) offers, and pre-approval sites won't work.

Also, if you're heading for a mortgage, the CRA's won't be able to sell your name to junk debt buyers. They buy lists of consumers with new mortgage inquiries and try to match names with old collections floating around, so that they can slap a collection on your reports. Even if it's way past reporting, or if it's not even yours, they know that mortgage lenders don't want open collections on your reports, and you'll be pressured by time to pay the collection, again even if it's not yours, or if it's long since paid.

Your current (= you have open accounts with them) creditors still have the right to soft you using the AR (account review) and AM (account maintenance) designators. No one else can.

Interesting about them not being able to randomly hard you, though. That does make sense, it that if you have a BofA card, and you want to apply for a second (different) BofA card, it would require a hard pull, so you would have to unfreeze your report.

So it sounds like it would be a VERY good idea to have your reports frozen when looking to buy a home?

Does the freeze also prevent the CRA from selling your info to junk debt buyers in general, or just for mortgage purposes?

Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

So it sounds like it would be a VERY good idea to have your reports frozen when looking to buy a home?

Does the freeze also prevent the CRA from selling your info to junk debt buyers in general, or just for mortgage purposes?

It's for everything. It's worse for mortgages, though. JDB's specifically buy reports of those who have new mortgage apps, because they know that they'll have you over a barrel if they put anything on your reports. For other stuff, you have the time to fight them.

And you want to freeze your reports BEFORE you app for a mortgage, if you can. (You'll need to unfreeze them for the app itself.) There's often a bit of a delay before an opt-out or opt-in takes effect.

If you think of a JDB as a potential creditor ( Smiley Mad ), you're preventing them from accessing your reports in the same manner that you're preventing a new CCC or insuance company or roof repair company (I got softed by one of these once and sent an offer) from softing you.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Although I have always read and been told that current creditors can access your credit report even if frozen has not been my experience... I have always been asked to go unlock my reports for them.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.