Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Contributor

BOA - Amex card - Change

Can I change my bank of america Amex card to some  other amex card for example costco amex card?

I dont want to lose history by closing boa amex and opening a new amex card.

Please advise.

Senior Contributor

Re: BOA - Amex card - Change

No

Those are 2 different banks.   You have a card from BofA that uses the AMEX network.

The Amercian Express Bank offers the Costo and many other AMEX network cards.

You can have both however.

Regular Contributor

Your Bofa Amex is a co-branded card.  Has the Amex logo but issued by Bofa. 

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531 02/21/16 EQ 626, TU 611, EX 621
>Cap 1 QS 4500 Cap 1 Plat 3000,
Senior Contributor

It is not a co-branded Card.    It has the single brand which is the AMEX network.  

A co-branded card is a Nework and a store brand, like Costco AMEX,  Best Buy Mastercard.

The confusion arrises because AMEX and Discover started out as both the Bank and the Network.

New Contributor

if you don't want to lose the history, find another card from BOA that you like and call them see if they can do a product change from your old BOA Amex to new BOA card, that way it'll still be old line/history and no new accounts etc.

it has worked in the past but obviously it's ymmv.

gl

New Contributor

Thanks. I also have a BOA mastercard thats older than boa amex.

What are my options here?

Senior Contributor

What are you trying to do?

Convert BOA amex to another BOA product  

OR

Get an AMEX bank card like Costco AMEX

New Contributor

Apply for better Amex card like costco amex or amex blue cash..and close this boa amex card.

I was thinking if there was any way to avoid credit score getting dinged...by changing one amex to better amex card.

Senior Contributor

You have to do a new application for those which are American Express Bank.   

You could product change the BOA later to keep BOA history.  

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update:

I got a costo flyer - $75 statement credit for opening a costco amex card. I want to apply finally now.

-What will be the approximate decrease in credit score due to this application? (5 or 7 or....)

-I want to add my spouse as AU on this card? Will it show in her credit reports?

After I get this card, i will not use the BOA Amex card.

-I have this card since 2006. I also have a BOA MC from 2004.

-Is there any way I can transfer the BOA Amex history to BOA MC (even though BOA amex has a shorter history than BOA MC) and close the BOA Amex card?

-Will there be any credit score impacts due to the above?

Thanks in Advance.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.