cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Better Balance approval criterion?

tag
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA Better Balance approval criterion?

@hutchj wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

What is the attraction of this card?   It doesn't seem to have a sign-up bonus, or am I missing that?  I get that you can get up to $120 a year for doing very little (but you do need to spend some on the card which might be better spent on other cards, and making sure it reports a balance, which can cost a few points on your credit score, and you need a BoA account, which aren't all that attractive).

Other cards have high sign up bonuses, so why not those instead of this?  Yes, with a thick enough file you can do both, but you could also apply for more cards with bonuses.

And, while in theory you can say this is $120 every year, unlike sign up bonuses, I would be surprised if this lasts all that long...

Personally, I'm getting a $120/year for buying Starbucks. So 1% on $2.72 a day does not come close to $10 a month from taking advantage of this card.

The smart move for you would be to stop buying Starbucks. That stuff is expensive. It wipes out any incentive program a credit card may give you Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 28
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

@hutchj wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

What is the attraction of this card?   It doesn't seem to have a sign-up bonus, or am I missing that?  I get that you can get up to $120 a year for doing very little (but you do need to spend some on the card which might be better spent on other cards, and making sure it reports a balance, which can cost a few points on your credit score, and you need a BoA account, which aren't all that attractive).

Other cards have high sign up bonuses, so why not those instead of this?  Yes, with a thick enough file you can do both, but you could also apply for more cards with bonuses.

And, while in theory you can say this is $120 every year, unlike sign up bonuses, I would be surprised if this lasts all that long...

Personally, I'm getting a $120/year for buying Starbucks. So 1% on $2.72 a day does not come close to $10 a month from taking advantage of this card.

The smart move for you would be to stop buying Starbucks. That stuff is expensive. It wipes out any incentive program a credit card may give you Smiley Happy

A girl has to have a vice, lol. It's the only guilty pleasure I have (well besides Dove dark chocolate covered almonds, those are to die for, yum!) Smiley Wink

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 22 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

That Starbucks sounds like one of those $5 coffees I've been reading about.

Message 23 of 28
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

It's just breakfast! Come on guys, I gotta eat, lol. Now I could get up 15 minutes early to make breakfast, but that's asking for too much.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 24 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@hutchj wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

It's just breakfast! Come on guys, I gotta eat, lol. Now I could get up 15 minutes early to make breakfast, but that's asking for too much.

Love Starbucks too!  Use their app?  I get the cheapest drink until qualifying for the free one, then will use it on your drink!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 28
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@hutchj wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Love Starbucks too!  Use their app?  I get the cheapest drink until qualifying for the free one, then will use it on your drink!  Smiley Very Happy

I have the app, but there's no money on my card. I always forget to add money to it.

Message 26 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I LOVE STARBUCKS TOO! My free bday drink postcard expired :-(. I just love coffee tbh haha if I app for any BOS card, it will be BankAmericard(I think) since it has a 0% bt for 15 mos. lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 27 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

BOA*
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.