Regular Contributor
stoopidmunkee

BOA CC question

I have a BOA CC that used to be a secured card back in  2009;  the card became unsecured back in 2010 or maybe 2011.  I called their credit department about seeing if I could do a product changed and they advise me on cards that use to be secured they cannot do a product change.

Question is, one of the weakest areas of my credit is my average of credit, so I want to make sure I make the right move.  Would it be a bad move to cancel this card, since it doesn't look like I will be able to get a CLI or the AF removed from the card? 

I recently approved the Citi Bank Thank You Preferred card and got approved for $3,500 the highest limit I have besides my Cap1 which is $750, and a few others that are in the $500 range.

Would it be a mistake to cancel the BOA that I have had since 2009?

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Blogger
HiLine

Re: BOA CC question

It took me 2 calls to make a product change. The first one was with the incorrect number. :smileywink: I would call again, but this time use a backdoor number from the stickied thread. :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
stoopidmunkee

HiLine wrote:

It took me 2 calls to make a product change. The first one was with the incorrect number. :smileywink: I would call again, but this time use a backdoor number from the stickied thread. :smileyhappy:

Which back door number, I called 260.4696 and they wouldn't help.  A few numbers on the stickie that aren't in service anymore.

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

Valued Contributor
RyVision

If it has an AF and they won't PC you into something w\o an AF,  you might consider closing. 

I PC'd from a never secured card with an AF to the 1-2-3 (that is advertised as never having a fee) and was still stuck with the same AF, which they said I could request be removed later...., then after over a year and several unsuccessful attempts to have the AF removed, I closed it.  Got the card in 2008 and learned repeatedly since, why I just as soon not have an account with "The BOA" anyway.

I gave the BOA several years to be more than my lowest CL card but never a CLI nor an AF waiver.  When I closed it I told them I'd probably never apply for anything backed by them again and would warn others to avoid them and why.

Soon after it reported "closed by consumer",  I got a SW alert that my EQ Fico had jumped over 20 points.  It was the only change during that time, seemed odd since I was worried it might drop.

If you do have an AF and are thinking of closing the account, wait until a month or so before the AF would be charged so you get the most mileage you can from having the account.

Valued Contributor
RyVision

stoopidmunkee wrote:

HiLine wrote:

Which back door number, I called 260.4696 and they wouldn't help.  A few numbers on the stickie that aren't in service anymore.

Been there done that......  Plus 2 other numbers.

Sounds like we might have been in the same boat with The BOA to some degree from day one.

Regular Contributor
SRAGS

It would be Big mistake to cancel Boa. Don't do that.. Thanks.
Regular Contributor
stoopidmunkee

Why would it be a mistake SRAGS?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}