Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA CC question

tag
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

BOA CC question

I have a BOA CC that used to be a secured card back in  2009;  the card became unsecured back in 2010 or maybe 2011.  I called their credit department about seeing if I could do a product changed and they advise me on cards that use to be secured they cannot do a product change.

Question is, one of the weakest areas of my credit is my average of credit, so I want to make sure I make the right move.  Would it be a bad move to cancel this card, since it doesn't look like I will be able to get a CLI or the AF removed from the card? 

I recently approved the Citi Bank Thank You Preferred card and got approved for $3,500 the highest limit I have besides my Cap1 which is $750, and a few others that are in the $500 range.

Would it be a mistake to cancel the BOA that I have had since 2009?

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
HiLine
Blogger

Re: BOA CC question

It took me 2 calls to make a product change. The first one was with the incorrect number. Smiley Wink I would call again, but this time use a backdoor number from the stickied thread. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

It took me 2 calls to make a product change. The first one was with the incorrect number. Smiley Wink I would call again, but this time use a backdoor number from the stickied thread. Smiley Happy

Which back door number, I called 260.4696 and they wouldn't help.  A few numbers on the stickie that aren't in service anymore.

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

Message 3 of 7
RyVision
Valued Contributor

If it has an AF and they won't PC you into something w\o an AF,  you might consider closing. 

I PC'd from a never secured card with an AF to the 1-2-3 (that is advertised as never having a fee) and was still stuck with the same AF, which they said I could request be removed later...., then after over a year and several unsuccessful attempts to have the AF removed, I closed it.  Got the card in 2008 and learned repeatedly since, why I just as soon not have an account with "The BOA" anyway.

I gave the BOA several years to be more than my lowest CL card but never a CLI nor an AF waiver.  When I closed it I told them I'd probably never apply for anything backed by them again and would warn others to avoid them and why.

Soon after it reported "closed by consumer",  I got a SW alert that my EQ Fico had jumped over 20 points.  It was the only change during that time, seemed odd since I was worried it might drop.

If you do have an AF and are thinking of closing the account, wait until a month or so before the AF would be charged so you get the most mileage you can from having the account.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 7
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@stoopidmunkee wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Which back door number, I called 260.4696 and they wouldn't help.  A few numbers on the stickie that aren't in service anymore.

Been there done that......  Plus 2 other numbers.

Sounds like we might have been in the same boat with The BOA to some degree from day one.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 7
SRAGS
Regular Contributor

It would be Big mistake to cancel Boa. Don't do that.. Thanks.
Message 6 of 7
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

Why would it be a mistake SRAGS?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.