Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA CLI easy for the wealthy?

tag
lizabeth
Contributor

BOA CLI easy for the wealthy?

I am wondering if qualifying for a BOA CLI is at a direct result of stating a large yearly income.
I am approaching having a flawless credit history and I cannot get BOA to get me out of the 1,000 cl. It's a new card, but I hear stories nearly everyday of people getting cli's almost automatically after asking.  I've already asked twice with an agent and they ask me all these questions about my income and then end up saying 'Ask again later once we can see how you take care of the card'... Yeah right, why couldn't they have said that from the get go without asking me in depth details on income, mortgage, etc...
LOTS of people have gotten CLI's upon activation.  I am a year out of college and making my way up the financial ladder, so I am by no means making an outstanding salary. 
Is this the reason?

Do they want a triple figure salary?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA CLI easy for the wealthy?

Times are rapidly changing, so what has happened previously may not be the norm today, re. CLI's.  Since the account is only a year old I think  you can chalk it up to lack of extended history with BoA.  Keep plugging along and PIF each month, and let it age a bit.  You have time on your side.  CLI's will come in due course.
Message 2 of 13
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I just posted another thread where they gave me a CLI on recon.

What's not in the post is that I was denied the last THREE times I tried for a CLI.

It will happen, it's just a matter of timing that you have little control over.

And luck.

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA WILL grow with you, but if they want to see more history, then show them you can handle the card.  My personal income is only 15k. HHI is about 40k. That is not alot by no means.

After mine unsecured after 9th statement, I was given an increase to 5k. I am sure they will cap me due to a low HHI. I am fine with the 5k and if I can show them responsible use, then I just may be able to get increases later. However, I am fine for now. I'm trying to learn patience. It's my new goal I set for myself. Smiley Happy

Point is, I am not wealthy, but surviving and taking care of my cards. They are in turn taking care of me. Give them sometime if that is all they are asking.
Message 4 of 13
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

My mother never made more than around 32k/year.

Her BofA CL is 25k.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 5 of 13
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

With BOA, income definitely seems to play a part. I have seen posts, and gotten letters myself stating my credit is sufficient considering my income.

However, this also doesn't seem to keep BOA from giving auto-CLIs as well.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 13
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

FretlessMayhem wrote:
With BOA, income definitely seems to play a part. I have seen posts, and gotten letters myself stating my credit is sufficient considering my income.

However, this also doesn't seem to keep BOA from giving auto-CLIs as well.

Yup, b/c I'm an AU on mom's 25k card I can't get BofA to take me over 5k on MY card.  I get the same letter about sufficient credit for income. 

Ahhh..  time for a new career for Peas?  LOL
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who knows with any of the cc's sometimes I wonder if its not who you are talking to.  Point in case hubbys BOA CL is 48,700. and mine is a measly 7800.   We both have the same HHI.  Plus he has a 32,000. LOC with BOA.  I think I would have to beg to get an increase.  On my knees no less.  Vicki
Message 8 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, income is big. My recommendation is to use the card, use the card, use the card for many of your necessities and then PIF. Keep doing this, you will get your way.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi lizabeth, Smiley Happy

I agree with the folks who have posted. Just use the card a lot and
PIF frequently. This habit over time should help to accelerate your CLI's.

There is one other option that might be possible:

Look into becoming a Private Banking client with Bank of America.

I'm not sure of the exact criteria, but normally there is either a net worth
requirement or an income requirement (6-figures). So in your case, if
a "large yearly income" means 6-figures then Private Bankers can
issue "overrides" for their clients. It just means that your private banking relationship
with BofA would take precedence (override) normal qualifications for loans, lines
of credit, etc. However, times are tight right now. So BofA may have raised
their Private Banking standards, but it's something to look into. Essentially,
once you have a Private Banker you go thru one person for all of your banking needs.
They handle all of the paperwork and red tape for you. Pretty cool, huh???!!! Smiley Happy

Anyway, like I said it's just a possibility. But if you call BofA and find out that you qualify,
I'd say that it's definitely worth pursuing. Smiley Happy

Good luck to you!!! Smiley Very Happy

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"

Message Edited by CanDoAttitude on 07-29-2008 09:31 AM
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.