Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Cash Rewards CLI HELP!

tag
Tg123
Regular Contributor

BOA Cash Rewards CLI HELP!

So i feel like i made a rookie mistake. I am planning out which cards I will be using this summer to maximize my rewards and pulled my cash rewards out of the sock drawer and thought I would see if BOA would give me a soft pull cli. I called confirmed at least 5 times with the rep checking with her supervisor 3 times to make sure it would be a soft pull. Get approved for $2,900 from $1000 and decide I should check my reports. Credit Karma is showing that I have a new inquiry this month and I called the credit analyst line to check and they assure me that it was a hard pull and I was put on hold 20 minutes ago to speak with a supervisor. Any advice on how to correct this and proceed? Appreciate anything!

Forward, Zync, Freedom, BofA Cash Rewards

Current Score: 738 BOA Experian (5/29/2012)

GOAL: 800s
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: BOA Cash Rewards CLI HELP!

@Tg123 wrote:

So i feel like i made a rookie mistake. I am planning out which cards I will be using this summer to maximize my rewards and pulled my cash rewards out of the sock drawer and thought I would see if BOA would give me a soft pull cli. I called confirmed at least 5 times with the rep checking with her supervisor 3 times to make sure it would be a soft pull. Get approved for $2,900 from $1000 and decide I should check my reports. Credit Karma is showing that I have a new inquiry this month and I called the credit analyst line to check and they assure me that it was a hard pull and I was put on hold 20 minutes ago to speak with a supervisor. Any advice on how to correct this and proceed? Appreciate anything!

They assured you it was a hard pull? Or did you mean soft? 

Unless you're planning on more new credit in the next six months, I'd say it's worth a HP for 3x the CL. I took a HP to not get a CL after a balance chasing incident, almost took a second one to get the CLD reversed. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Tg123 wrote:

I think you have a far better chance of making the best of this HP and call back to the credit analyst line and say if your regular CSR's and Supervisors don't even know the credit pull policy can we at least make the most of it and I would like a CLI to $10k... I'm not sure what other lines you have so they may not go that high, but I would bet they will go higher then what you got before.

Message 3 of 8
Tg123
Regular Contributor

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

@Tg123 wrote:

They assured you it was a hard pull? Or did you mean soft? 

Unless you're planning on more new credit in the next six months, I'd say it's worth a HP for 3x the CL. I took a HP to not get a CL after a balance chasing incident, almost took a second one to get the CLD reversed. 

I was assured it was a SOFT pull. My limit was $1k and was increased to $2.9k. I have a Chase Freedom with $4500, Amex Blue Cash $5000, Citi Forward $4100, Discover $2000, ZYNC. My income in undergrad was $15k. Going into a Master's program in August and will have an income of $50,000. Looking to set myself up with better lines. Appreciate the advice. 

Message 4 of 8
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

BoA is known for HPing TU for a CLI; regardless of what you're told always be prepared for an INQ when requesting credit. It's a shame that they misinformed you, but unless you are planning to app for a mortgage soon a 3x CLI is worth the single HP.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 8
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

They recently increased my credit limit and it was a hard pull...

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 6 of 8
Tg123
Regular Contributor

Just thought I would update everyone. I called them back the day after and I was put on hold and no one picked up after 10 minutes. I hung up and figured I would call them today. They called me and left a voicemail informing me to contact them. I called them back and spoke to a sr credit analyst who asked if I was informed it was a soft pull and I said yes and she said they will be requesting to have it removed and that I will also be sent a lettter showing that they have requested it be removed. On top of that, they gave me a new cl of $5k. So if it all works out no hard pull plus 5x cl. I will be really happy if it all works out like this! 

Message 7 of 8
black_citi
Established Contributor

Congrats! Smiley Happy
Make More, Spend Less
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.