Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA, Chase or Amex; which card carries the most merit

tag
jwright343
New Contributor

BOA, Chase or Amex; which card carries the most merit

Today, I called BOA and Chase using the backdoor number lists.  Both stated that although I have a BK (9 years ago), it's not necessarily an automatic NO.  Both cards stated they're more interested in financial health SINCE the BK.  Which mine is awesome.  After telling them my EX score is currently 750, they both felt I would be a for sure approval.  That being said, should I apply for Amex instead or one of these two.  I always felt Amex was more of a prestigious card of the rich and famous, those with 100,000$ or more job types.  Does a credit portfolio look 'better' have an Amex card over any of the 'lower' prime cards.  Such as Discover, Chase, BOA, Citi, etc.  Thanks again friends.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA, Chase or Amex; which card carries the most merit

@jwright343 wrote:

Today, I called BOA and Chase using the backdoor number lists.  Both stated that although I have a BK (9 years ago), it's not necessarily an automatic NO.  Both cards stated they're more interested in financial health SINCE the BK.  Which mine is awesome.  After telling them my EX score is currently 750, they both felt I would be a for sure approval.  That being said, should I apply for Amex instead or one of these two.  I always felt Amex was more of a prestigious card of the rich and famous, those with 100,000$ or more job types.  Does a credit portfolio look 'better' have an Amex card over any of the 'lower' prime cards.  Such as Discover, Chase, BOA, Citi, etc.  Thanks again friends.

My scores and W-2 Income would make you think I got my AMEX out of a box of Cap'n'Crunch. Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you value what other think of you or what you think about yourself?

When did chase and boa become "lower" prime card?
Top 4 credit card issue in the world.
1. Chase
2. Citi
3. BofA
4. Amex
Message 3 of 21
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jwright343 wrote:

My scores and W-2 Income would make you think I got my AMEX out of a box of Cap'n'Crunch. Smiley Tongue

or Cracker jacks..

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshNurse wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jwright343 wrote:

or Cracker jacks..

That's where I got my CSP.

Message 5 of 21
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@jwright343 wrote:

Before I educated myself better I also thought Amex was the holy grail and I'm almost positive they think they are as well.  They've been good to me for backdating so I can't totally hate on them, but in the broader scheme I would give the following ratings based on my experiences with the lenders mentioned:

1)  BoA.  They worked with me while I was rebuilding my credit, have grown with me over time and they continue to be excellent to work with.  CLI requests are always consistent, they regularly lower APR's and have no problem approving the same card twice (Alaska Airlines).

2)  Chase and Citi.  Chase also worked with me while I was rebuilding so I have to give them credit for that.  They've also been very generous with subsequent approvals and limit reallocation.  Citi is a tie because they offered me my first "real" card before I even started rebuilding.  It actually motivated me to come to terms with my credit.  Citi has also been very generous with Hilton and American Airlines cards to me.  They can be odd at times, but so can any other lender.

3)  Amex.  Backdating as mentioned already.  They soft pull for subsequent applications if denied.  They can be good for CLI if you have the discipline.  On the other hand they can be unpredictable;  Financial Reviews, lowering credit limits when you really need to use what they gave you, etc...  They have been stingey with limits (they approved me for Delta Platinum for $1.1k limit and it carries $195 AF).

4)  Discover.  Took me 3 tries while I had a 5 year old charge-off for $70 from Socal Edisson.  They would never hear me out and even when it dropped off my report, I had to call in and get interviewed.  Some people love their customer service, but I find it borderline unprofessional.  On one occasion the CSR referred to me as "bro."  Enough said.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:

@jwright343 wrote:

Before I educated myself better I also thought Amex was the holy grail and I'm almost positive they think they are as well.  They've been good to me for backdating so I can't totally hate on them, but in the broader scheme I would give the following ratings based on my experiences with the lenders mentioned:

1)  BoA.  They worked with me while I was rebuilding my credit, have grown with me over time and they continue to be excellent to work with.  CLI requests are always consistent, they regularly lower APR's and have no problem approving the same card twice (Alaska Airlines).

2)  Chase and Citi.  Chase also worked with me while I was rebuilding so I have to give them credit for that.  They've also been very generous with subsequent approvals and limit reallocation.  Citi is a tie because they offered me my first "real" card before I even started rebuilding.  It actually motivated me to come to terms with my credit.  Citi has also been very generous with Hilton and American Airlines cards to me.  They can be odd at times, but so can any other lender.

3)  Amex.  Backdating as mentioned already.  They soft pull for subsequent applications if denied.  They can be good for CLI if you have the discipline.  On the other hand they can be unpredictable;  Financial Reviews, lowering credit limits when you really need to use what they gave you, etc...  They have been stingey with limits (they approved me for Delta Platinum for $1.1k limit and it carries $195 AF).

4)  Discover.  Took me 3 tries while I had a 5 year old charge-off for $70 from Socal Edisson.  They would never hear me out and even when it dropped off my report, I had to call in and get interviewed.  Some people love their customer service, but I find it borderline unprofessional.  On one occasion the CSR referred to me as "bro."  Enough said.

Wow. AMEX seems bipolar. They treat me awesome just about every time I have contact with them but they treat the wife like she still belongs in a CapOne creditsteps program. (She had AMEX before CapitalOne, too.)

Message 7 of 21
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@jwright343 wrote:

Wow. AMEX seems bipolar. They treat me awesome just about every time I have contact with them but they treat the wife like she still belongs in a CapOne creditsteps program. (She had AMEX before CapitalOne, too.)

I think I'm in the same pool as your wife.  They've just never really wowed me with customer service.  It all started a few years back when they wouldn't honor my PRG bonus.  I was disgusted and nobody would deviate from what their little computers spit out.  I could go on and on, but for me Amex pretty much serves 1 purpose.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're currently trying to jack her PRG bonus as well.

Apparently they're sending a letter.

Message 9 of 21
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

They're currently trying to jack her PRG bonus as well.

Apparently they're sending a letter.

I'm not surprised.  They like to dangle carrots and then yank them back - credit limits, bonuses, etc...  If anything, it did teach me to take a screen shot of every application landing since then.  Goodluck though, I hope it works out.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.