Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Hard Inquires Twice, Can I Dispute?

tag
cpautovisionz
Established Member

BOA Hard Inquires Twice, Can I Dispute?

I applied for a BofA unsecured card on 4/30 and got denied. They counteroffered with a secured card and I took it. On 4/30 there was an inquiry and I just got an alert today for another hard inquiry. I think it is for the same card, can I or should I dispute this?

Starting Score: TU=521, EQ=618
Current Score: TU=556, EQ=639
Goal Score: TU=700, EQ=720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bearsfan34
Regular Contributor

Re: BOA Hard Inquires Twice, Can I Dispute?

I think the second one must be for your secured card. But hopefully someone who has the same experience could clarify.

Starting Score: EX 631 EQ 629 TU 646 1/18
Current Score: __
Goal Score: 710

Message 2 of 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

@bearsfan34 wrote:
I think the second one must be for your secured card. But hopefully someone who has the same experience could clarify.

That is correct.  I saw someone post about this before, BofA pulled a second hard when going for the secured card.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 9
aftermath
Established Contributor

Unfortunately 2 inquiries is correct.  The unsecured and the secured are 2 different products.

They pulled one to consider you for their unsecured... denied.

They pulled one to consider you for the secured... approved.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 4 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Same happened to me back in the day, OP. One is for the unsecured and one for the secured. At one point I had trouble with my 99/500 and I learned that their secured department is a completely seperate entity (and location) to their unsecured department. One doesn't know what the other is doing and vice-versa. This could likely be the reason for the two inquiries.

Message 5 of 9
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Which credit bureau did BOA pull?

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 6 of 9
vish1
Valued Contributor

@cpautovisionz wrote:

I applied for a BofA unsecured card on 4/30 and got denied. They counteroffered with a secured card and I took it. On 4/30 there was an inquiry and I just got an alert today for another hard inquiry. I think it is for the same card, can I or should I dispute this?

This is how BoA works. they pulled twice for me too. One for unsecured and then for secured. You can't dispute it, its a legitimate inquiry.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 7 of 9
texasman07
Established Contributor

I got 3 hard Pulls!

One for the Unsecured

One for the Secured and because I did not accept the offer right away and waited 30 or so days, I got another HP when they accepted my funds to secure the card!! It was done on Experian so I really dont care, But geesh!

Message 8 of 9
cpautovisionz
Established Member

It showed up in my EX report. Thanks, I knew it was going to happen.

Starting Score: TU=521, EQ=618
Current Score: TU=556, EQ=639
Goal Score: TU=700, EQ=720

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.