Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**BOA New CLI Policy**

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: **BOA New CLI Policy**

I must be the only one who got HP for CLI for both times. First on TU and Second on EX,EQ.

Message 11 of 24
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

A CLI request by the books is considered the pursuit of new credit and shoul be hard pull. The fact that some lenders do not follow what should be done is different story. A lender can give a CLI as a part of an account review (which is a soft pull) yes. In almost 30 years have had credit I can only remember four or five times I have asked for a CLI. of the four times 50% sucess rate in getting the CLI.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 12 of 24
dp321
Regular Contributor

Got my CLI on Monday, it's already reporting on Experian by Tuesday. Now I have just applied for three credit cards in the past six months and applied for CLI a total of three times (different CCCs), I am gonna lay low for a while. 

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@johnnie198x wrote:

This is indeed very new. I just got a CLI a few days ago with no HP.  I think it's a good idea to freeze the reports.

unless i'm mistaking, freeze would not prevent a hard pull in this scenarion. exhisting accounts still have access to your reports, even if frozen. i could be wrong though.

If YOU, as a consumer, are REQUESTING your creditor to put in an inquiry for a CLI or anything else that might need a check on creditworthiness, you are ALLOWING them to hard pull you even IF your credit reports are frozen.

Message 14 of 24
lithium78
Established Contributor

I requested a CLI online and they gave me a hard pull without warning.  I didn't get the increase either so I have nothing to show for it and now I have four hard inquiries on EX.  Wonderful.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 15 of 24
dp321
Regular Contributor

You mind sharing your circumstances please? It will add to our knowledge pool as to how best to go about requesting a CLI from BOA. Like what card? How long do you have the card and how many times of the current limit you are asking. 

@lithium78 wrote:

I requested a CLI online and they gave me a hard pull without warning.  I didn't get the increase either so I have nothing to show for it and now I have four hard inquiries on EX.  Wonderful.

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Message 16 of 24
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@MrCredit wrote:

They state they will do a hard pull on EX for all new CLI 

requests.

no. there is a previous thread that has confirmed that they insist they will hard pull on all cli requests, but they are required to say this. what they will actually do however is initiate an account review and cli based on this, so in a loophole kind of way, they aren't actually offering a cli based on your request. but i wouldn't push my luck. it appears that they wont hard pull unless you request too often, which may prompt them to hard pull your credit.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 17 of 24
johnnie198x
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@johnnie198x wrote:

This is indeed very new. I just got a CLI a few days ago with no HP.  I think it's a good idea to freeze the reports.

unless i'm mistaking, freeze would not prevent a hard pull in this scenarion. exhisting accounts still have access to your reports, even if frozen. i could be wrong though.

If YOU, as a consumer, are REQUESTING your creditor to put in an inquiry for a CLI or anything else that might need a check on creditworthiness, you are ALLOWING them to hard pull you even IF your credit reports are frozen.

Did you get HP while your report is frozen? If so, too bad, you're out of luck.

I froze mine, a CCC couldn't HP, and I made them HP the one that isn't frozen. That proves my point.

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 18 of 24
jonmyers
New Contributor

But doesn't there have to be some sort of aknowledgement on our part for it to be a hard pull?  Isn't that why we all assume that the luv button will be a soft?

I can't believe that the a request for an increase can assume a hard pull authorization.  When I request a CLI from Disc over the phone, if they don't give me an auto, then I get transferred to a person.  Even then, there is always the question:  Is it ok for me to pull your credit?  If I say "no," the process is done.

If BoA does a hard pull without verbal or written aknowledgement, can't we simply contact the CRA's and inform them to re-lable the pull?

jonmyers

Message 19 of 24
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@jonmyers wrote:

But doesn't there have to be some sort of aknowledgement on our part for it to be a hard pull?  Isn't that why we all assume that the luv button will be a soft?

I can't believe that the a request for an increase can assume a hard pull authorization.  When I request a CLI from Disc over the phone, if they don't give me an auto, then I get transferred to a person.  Even then, there is always the question:  Is it ok for me to pull your credit?  If I say "no," the process is done.

If BoA does a hard pull without verbal or written aknowledgement, can't we simply contact the CRA's and inform them to re-lable the pull?

jonmyers

Legally, no. As a creditor that you already do business with, they already have that approval. So legally they can pull a hard whenever they want and do not need to notifiy you.

Keep in mind, that's legally. In practicality, they don't just hard pull whenever they feel like it, because stuff like that makes people like us complain. Loudly.

So generally companies make effort to notify you before a hard pull, but that's in the interest of customer service, not keeping with the law.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.