cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Premium = Any reason to keep Travel Rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA Premium = Any reason to keep Travel Rewards?

@K-in-Boston wrote:
MrDisco99 is MrCorrect100%. And I am sure that a PC would be possible in either direction as well. There will still be those in the general public that won't justify an annual fee no matter the return with credits, so I don't see the regular TR card going away. But yes having both would be somewhat akin to having both a Chase Sapphire and a Chase Sapphire Preferredto use another example.

I guess that would be me. I'll fit in this category of someone who just doesn't want another annual fee card no matter what. I'm cutting down on cards and chose to keep only one big hefty annual fee travel card (amex plat). So I'm going to stick with the Travel Rewards with $0 AF that does everything this new Premium Card does like up to 2.62% back on everytihing with preffered program tiers, the only difference  you get with paying the $95 fee for this new premium rewards card  is 0.875% more in travel and dining and the $100 airline cred/global entry.

Message 11 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@galahad15 wrote:

@gatortrades wrote:
But if you won't use the $100 travel credit, why have a Travel Rewards card anyway? You can only redeem the travel rewards for travel related stuff.

There are other kinds of regular non-air travel that people may have and can redeem for, such as subway commutes, etc., which do not apply to the $100 travel credit IIRC (i.e., if the $100 travel credit only applies to air travel).

^^^ This exactly.  Smiley Happy

Folks keep referring to this as a "travel credit" but from what I've seen it's actually an "airline incidental credit". 

To those who seldom fly (yet do travel) that's a meaningful nuance.

Message 12 of 16
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@gatortrades wrote:
But if you won't use the $100 travel credit, why have a Travel Rewards card anyway? You can only redeem the travel rewards for travel related stuff.

There are other kinds of regular non-air travel that people may have and can redeem for, such as subway commutes, etc., which do not apply to the $100 travel credit IIRC (i.e., if the $100 travel credit only applies to air travel).

Folks keep referring to this as a "travel credit" but from what I've seen it's actually an "airline incidental credit". 

Then learn o fly then.  The other big "incidenta" cards are AmEx Plat and Ritz cards.  The best all around "travel" card is CSR.  Anything travels goes, tolls, hotel, taxi, airfair etc....

Message 13 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@gatortrades wrote:

Then learn o fly then.  The other big "incidenta" cards are AmEx Plat and Ritz cards.  The best all around "travel" card is CSR.  Anything travels goes, tolls, hotel, taxi, airfair etc....

LOL... I'm not changing my travel or spending patterns for a card.

I have no problems stating that a card simply isn't meant for me; I'm only pointing that 'airline incidental' and 'travel' aren't the same thing, although the terms are often used interchangeably on here.

Message 14 of 16
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Actually we all get side-tracked.  See OP's title question.

The original qestion actually deserves a simple answer.  The BA TR card has no AF.  So what is the harm to keep it?  If you think you already have too many cards and get extended, then cancel and cut the card.  Otherwise, put it in a draw and keep it.  You keep your CL and maybe one day you can PC it to another fancy card.

It is a different story if there is AF.  Then cancel and cut the card, no brainer.

Message 15 of 16
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

One of the advantages of TR is counting uber, lyft, hotel and similar costs in travel cateogries and it is feasible to redeem 100 points for each 1$ (I think, this is the best redeem option for TR points). Therefore, no long distance travel would be needed to redeem the travel points. Anyway, this is not the best CC to use for those categories. I am evaluating to convert TR to Premium sometime soon, because I do not see for the moment any pros to use it either for travels or the other categories.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.