Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Secured Card Question

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: BOA Secured Card Question

I'm pushing mines to $40k in Oct when last TU baddie bites the dust. It'll be my new pry bar! I ❤❤❤ BOA!! Anybody that can get one absolutely should!
Message 11 of 17
sultan33g
Contributor

Baller was the card unsecured n 6 months auto or did you call in to see?

What was your new limit after it being unsecured?

Thanks
01/14/2015 Scores: EQ: 646 TU:667 EX: 663
03/23/15 Scores: EQ: 716 TU: 778 EX: 721

Goal Scores: 750

Message 12 of 17
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

As some of you may know, I have been helping a good friend with rebuilding his credit after a financial crisis meltdown. Most of the baddies have been removed, he was able to get approved for cards from most major CCC and his scores are hovering around 700 accross all 3 CB's.

My question is this:

He burned BOA for less than <1k during his financial meltdown, however, he did do a PFD and it was removed.

Last week, he applied for another BOA card and it was declined, however, they offered him the 500/99 secured option.

I wanted your input on how to proceed.  He has 9 or so credit cards ranging from 2.5k - 7.5k credit limits with Barclays/Chase/Fifth Third Bank/USAA.  Would you guys recommend he take the offer to get back in with BOA and do you think the card will grow?  Or should he wait, build his score and re-apply in 6-12 months?

Thanks in advance for the help! I wasnt sure how to advise in this situation.

Depends on whether your friend has come to the conclusion they want to re-establish a relationship with BOA. If they do, go for it. Within a year and with their scores, graduating to unsecured should be very doable.  If they don't care about BOA or their products, no  need to app for a secured card. BOA was paid already. Sounds like your friend wants back in, though. Any recon attempts yet?

.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 13 of 17
baller4life
Super Contributor

@sultan33g wrote:
Baller was the card unsecured n 6 months auto or did you call in to see?

What was your new limit after it being unsecured?

Thanks

I called in and requested it. Unsecured at $500. I hung up and called back to talk to regular analyst and had it pushed to $1500. Called a month later once my Navy Fed $10k limit posted and asked them to match it. They did. Then 7 months later went to $20k.

Message 14 of 17
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@ScarletFever wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

As some of you may know, I have been helping a good friend with rebuilding his credit after a financial crisis meltdown. Most of the baddies have been removed, he was able to get approved for cards from most major CCC and his scores are hovering around 700 accross all 3 CB's.

My question is this:

He burned BOA for less than <1k during his financial meltdown, however, he did do a PFD and it was removed.

Last week, he applied for another BOA card and it was declined, however, they offered him the 500/99 secured option.

I wanted your input on how to proceed.  He has 9 or so credit cards ranging from 2.5k - 7.5k credit limits with Barclays/Chase/Fifth Third Bank/USAA.  Would you guys recommend he take the offer to get back in with BOA and do you think the card will grow?  Or should he wait, build his score and re-apply in 6-12 months?

Thanks in advance for the help! I wasnt sure how to advise in this situation.

Depends on whether your friend has come to the conclusion they want to re-establish a relationship with BOA. If they do, go for it. Within a year and with their scores, graduating to unsecured should be very doable.  If they don't care about BOA or their products, no  need to app for a secured card. BOA was paid already. Sounds like your friend wants back in, though. Any recon attempts yet?

I honestly dont know whether or not he cares about getting back with BOA. He was really just asking for my advice as to whether it would hold him back since he has already received good limits from other major issuers and to be honest, I had no idea. He got the 500/99 offer from a recon on their 321 (123?) visa sig.

Thanks so much for the great input everyone! I will let him know the concensus and suggest he take the offer!

Message 15 of 17
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

boa is so secured card happy it is not even funny. I would bet my paycheck if i applied for a card today with them they would offer me a 99/500 deal. I only have over 70k in unsecured lines out not including the accounts i am an AU on Which would push me over 100k. Sorry my boa hate gets the best of me. 

I would tell your friend to take the offer if he wants to get back in with boa the line with grow. (or just have him apply for sallie mae and he will get better rewards lol).

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 16 of 17
hsspres
Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:
... Would you guys recommend he take the offer to get back in with BOA and do you think the card will grow?

I had a CO from BoA from about 15 years ago.  Although it's no longer on my CRs, BoA still has it in their system based on my conversations with them.  I opened a secured card in 2013 and it took almost 16 months before the card graduated and I did not receive an auto CLI even with plenty of spend/PIFs during that time.  I am reluctant to take a HP for pushing the luv button since the last of my baddies will be falling off soon and I have other cards targeted.  Not sure if the card will grow for your friend, but in my case doesn't seem so but as always YMMV.

FICOs 6/17 - EQ 751, EX 749, TU 760
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.